Big 12 power rankings: Week 12

Big 12 logo_lillian_michel
Lillian Michel/ The Daily Texan

1. Iowa State

Iowa State currently sits atop the Big 12 standings with a 5–2 record. The Cyclones are led by one of the nation’s top running backs in sophomore Breece Hall, who has rushed for over 1,000 yards and 13 touchdowns in seven games. If the Cyclones keep winning, a Big 12 Championship game berth appears likely.

2. Oklahoma State

After losing to Texas at home and scraping by Kansas State, the Cowboys have yet to reestablish themselves as the top team in the conference. The offensive line has given up eight sacks over its last two games. Despite this, No. 14 Oklahoma State has a great chance to regain some momentum in this week’s Bedlam rivalry game against No. 18 Oklahoma.

3. Oklahoma

After a rough start to 2020, No. 18 Oklahoma has steadily climbed back up the poll. The surging Sooners have captured the attention of the media, and College GameDay will be in Norman this week in anticipation of the annual Oklahoma-Oklahoma State Bedlam matchup. Redshirt freshman quarterback Spencer Rattler can begin making a name for himself with a solid showing this week.

4. Texas

Before the bye week, Texas held off West Virginia 17-13. Defensive coordinator Chris Ash’s defense continues to improve each week. Late in the third quarter, junior linebacker DeMarvion Overshown burst into the backfield for a timely sack to protect Texas’ lead. Offensively, freshman running back Bijan Robinson has emerged as a top-tier rusher after his breakout performance against West Virginia.

5. West Virginia

West Virginia made quick work of TCU last week, beating the Horned Frogs 24-6. The solid Mountaineer defense held TCU to under 300 yards of offense and forced two turnovers. If not for a flukey loss to Texas Tech, West Virginia would be a larger threat in the Big 12. However, a matchup with No. 18 Oklahoma looms after this week’s bye.

6. Kansas State

Kansas State has lost two games in a row heading into this week’s matchup at No. 17 Iowa State. A loss would drop the Wildcats from their third-place spot in the Big 12 standings and likely end its hopes at the Big 12 Championship game. No. 22 Texas still remains on the schedule. 

7. TCU

TCU only scored six points in its loss to West Virginia. It’s puzzling how the Horned Frogs were able to beat Texas earlier in the season, as TCU hasn’t risen to the occasion against strong competition outside of that game. The Horned Frogs sit at 3–4 heading into this week’s bye.

8. Texas Tech

Texas Tech beat Baylor on a walk-off field goal last week 24-23. Senior linebacker Colin Schooler stuffed Baylor senior quarterback Charlie Brewer at the goal line late in the third quarter to keep the game within reach before the Red Raiders put up 12 unanswered points in the fourth to win the game. Texas Tech will be off this week before facing No. 14 Oklahoma State on Nov. 28.

9. Baylor

Baylor lost again last week, dropping its record to 1–5. Very little has gone right for the Bears after a Big 12 Championship game appearance last year. Losing to Texas Tech was a big hit to Baylor’s confidence, but this week’s bye provides a final chance to turn things around.

10. Kansas

Kansas announced Wednesday that its matchup with No. 22 Texas has been postponed to Dec. 12 due to COVID-19 issues. While the winless Kansas has been competitive with the Longhorns in recent years, the Jayhawks’ overwhelming lack of talent will be their shortcoming in December.