Texas vs. Kansas canceled due to COVID-19 outbreak in Longhorn football program

sad2
Joshua Guenther

Texas’ upcoming game against Kansas on Saturday has been canceled due to a COVID-19 outbreak within the Longhorns’ football team, the Big 12 announced in a statement Thursday afternoon.

“In accordance with Big 12 Conference football game interruption guidelines, the Texas at Kansas game scheduled for Dec. 12 has been canceled due to UT’s shutdown of football operations,” the Big 12 said. “The game is declared a ‘no contest’ and will not be rescheduled.”

Texas is pausing all football team activities and shutting down football training activities in an effort to curb the spread of COVID-19 within the program. Nine student-athletes and 13 staff members have tested positive and are in self isolation, Texas athletics director Chris Del Conte said in a statement. Fourteen additional student-athletes and 15 staff members have been identified in contact tracing and are in quarantine.

Texas initially paused all team activities Sunday after it was announced that three student-athletes and two staff members tested positive for COVID-19 after last weekend’s game against Kansas State. The team resumed “limited outdoor team activities with appropriate precautions” Wednesday.

These are the first positive COVID-19 cases the program has reported since 13 players tested positive in mid-June. The University did not list a target date to return to football activities.

“We will continue daily testing, monitor the situation and adhere to all of the medical team’s health and safety protocols as we move forward with an abundance of caution in this situation,” Del Conte said. “We’re extremely disappointed that we won’t be able to play our final regular season game at Kansas this week but look forward to returning to action for our bowl game in the coming weeks.”