The most anticipated film releases of 2021

2021movieslisticlecourtesyofwarnerbrosweb
Courtesy of Warner Bros Pictures

Delayed” was the word that marked Hollywood in 2020 as COVID-19 made theatergoing risky, leading many studios to push their films’ release dates to 2021. A number of cinephile favorites, such as Wes Anderson’s “The French Dispatch,” still have a mysterious “TBD'' instead of a release date.

As the pandemic continues, the fate of this year’s theatrical releases still hangs in the balance. The Daily Texan compiled a list of some of the most anticipated films of 2021 — hopeful release dates included. 

“Malcolm & Marie” 

From “Euphoria” creator Sam Levinson comes a black and white portrait of a complicated romance between a film director, played by “Tenet” star John David Washington, and his girlfriend, played by Emmy-winner Zendaya. According to Deadline, the film was one of the first to be shot and completed during the pandemic. “Malcolm & Marie” will be released on Netflix on Feb. 5.  

“Cherry” 

A far cry from their top-grossing “Avengers” finales, the Russo brothers’ upcoming film will explore the breakdown and post-traumatic stress disorder of a former army medic, played by Tom Holland. According to Variety, Holland “may be too young for a play in best actor, but this lays the groundwork for a near-future nomination.” “Cherry'' will be released in theaters Feb. 26 and Apple TV on March 12.

“No Time to Die” 

The “James Bond” installment starring Daniel Craig, Rami Malek and Ana de Armas will follow a semiretired Bond as he tracks down a dangerous villain (Malek). With a strong ensemble cast and a theme song performed by Billie Eilish, “No Time to Die'' should send fans flocking to theaters. But as COVID-19 cases continue to rise, its April 2 release will likely be delayed, according to Deadline.  

“Last Night in Soho” 

Anya Taylor-Joy’s first film since Netflix’s “The Queen’s Gambit,” this Edgar Wright-directed thriller follows a young girl who is able to time travel to 1960s London where she meets her idol, but all is not as whimsical as it seems. The film also stars “The Crown’s” Matt Smith and “Jojo Rabbit’s” Thomasin McKenzie. “Last Night in Soho” is set to release in theaters April 23.   

“Black Widow” 

Set in the aftermath of “Captain America: Civil War” and the first of Marvel’s “Phase Four,” “Black Widow'' will follow Natasha Romanoff (Scarlett Johansson) as she is forced to reckon with her past. The film also stars Florence Pugh as Yelena Belova, another trained Black Widow to whom Romanoff will hand off the baton. “Black Widow” is set to release in theaters May 7. 

“In the Heights” 

Lin-Manuel Miranda’s award-winning Broadway musical is coming to the big screen, with “Hamilton” favorite Anthony Ramos as Usnavi, a bodega owner in Manhattan who inherits his grandmother’s fortune. The adaptation will be released in theaters and on HBO Max on June 18.   

“Candyman”

A sequel to the 1992 film “Candyman” about a murderer with a hook for a hand, this Jordan Peele-written, Nia DaCosta-directed film has been eagerly awaited by horror fans. Originally slated for last June, “Candyman” stars Yahya Abdul-Mateen II and Teyonah Parris and will release in theaters Aug. 27.

“Dune” 

Originally set to release Nov. 20, 2020, Denis Villeneuve’s “Dune” is an adaptation of Frank Herbert’s science-fiction epic. Timothée Chalamet leads a strong ensemble cast of Rebecca Ferguson, Zendaya, Josh Brolin and Oscar Isaac. Set far in the future on the perilous desert planet of Arrakis, “Dune” will be released in theaters and on HBO Max on Oct.1.