Boil water notice lifted for UT-Austin main campus, West Campus, parts of North Campus

winter_pipe_JDM3942w
Jack Myer

Editor's Note: This story was updated as information became available. 

The University’s main campus is no longer under a boil water notice, according to the emergency messages page. Austin Water lifted the boil water notice Monday morning for the Central Pressure Zone, which includes UT’s main campus, West Campus and parts of North Campus. 

UT spokesperson J.B. Bird said everyone on the main campus had to continue boiling their water after the boil water notice was lifted this morning because even though the source of the water is the same as the city of Austin’s, UT’s water is stored separately from the city system. He said while the boil water notice had been lifted for parts of the city, the water on campus had to be tested separately.

The notice, which required residents to boil water prior to drinking, cooking with, making ice or brushing teeth, was originally put into effect Feb. 17 after extreme freezing weather conditions caused the Ullrich Water Treatment Plant to lose power.

The Texas Commission on Environmental Quality completed their water testing and ruled the water as safe for consumption in the central pressure zone, according to an announcement from Austin Water.

“The public water system has taken the necessary corrective actions to restore the quality of the water distributed by this public water system used for drinking water or human consumption purposes,” the email said.

Now that the notice has been lifted, residents in the Central Pressure Zone no longer need to boil water and can consume water directly from fridges and sinks. However, the city of Austin recommends running all faucets for one minute to create a new flow of water in pipes and running ice machines through three cycles before use, according to their website

The city is still under emergency water use restrictions, so all outdoor water use is prohibited. Further information on restrictions is available here

Residents in the North, Northwest A and South and Pressure Zones had the boil water notice lifted Monday afternoon, according to a press release.. The Southwest and Northwest B and C Pressure Zones are still under a boil notice and should continue taking precautions. 

“We expect to have all of Austin with water service by today and boil water notice lifted citywide shortly after,” Austin Water director Greg Meszaros said. “Austin water remains committed to providing safe and reliable water service of the highest quality.”

Austin residents can check if they are still under a boil water notice using Austin Water’s interactive map.