Longhorns ride hot batting to 4th win of season

IMG_8502w
Connor Downs

After losing the last game of the series against Brigham Young University, Texas was able to bounce back with an emphatic win against Texas A&M-Corpus Christi on Tuesday night. 

“I really felt like they were bitter after Saturday’s game,” head coach David Pierce said. “I like the way they approached it, went back to work and played a very complete game.”

The Longhorns played one of their best games at the mound this season, defeating the Islanders 12-1 Tuesday night for their fourth win of the year as they improved to a 4–4 record. 

Texas was led at the plate by redshirt senior outfielder Mike Antico’s two hits, two runs, one RBI and home run.

It didn’t take the Longhorns much time to redeem themselves from the previous game against BYU as they started the game on fire, scoring six runs in the first two innings, including an absurd homer from Mike Antico in the bottom of the second. 

Freshman infielder Mitchell Daly, who made his first start for Texas on Tuesday night, provided an added spark for the Longhorns, recording one run on three hits, one double and one RBI. 

“Mitch has been earning the right to play,” Pierce said. “He’s looked sharp, he’s got great actions and he’s very athletic.”

Texas finished the night with 12 runs on 15 hits, five doubles and 10 RBIs. 

It was a completely different story for the Islanders, however, as they were stifled by Texas’ bevy of pitchers and held to one run on two hits and one RBI. 

The Islanders were led at-bat by freshman outfielder Brandon Petkoff who recorded one of the team’s two hits on the night.

The Longhorns’ pitching group was led by redshirt sophomore pitcher Kolby Kubichek who pitched to 11 different batters in 38 pitches, allowed just one hit and recorded four strikeouts. 

“Kubichek looked as sharp as he could be,” Pierce said. 

Pierce went on to confirm that Kubichek will start once again Sunday against Houston following the short start he had Tuesday night. 

Texas seemed to get right back into the groove it was in during the three-game win streak against BYU. The Longhorns recorded double-digit hits and runs for the second time this season. 

Texas looks to build on its momentum as the Longhorns make a quick stop in San Marcos, Texas, on Wednesday night to face Texas State before arriving in Houston on Friday to play a three-game series against the Cougars over the weekend. 

After winning four of their last five games, Pierce feels confident in his team’s chances moving forward the remainder of the season. But he still isn’t taking Texas State lightly after the Bobcats upset the Longhorns in San Marcos last season.

“If we can stay with the right approach, we’re going to get the right results, and that’s what we’re seeing,” Pierce said. “… (Texas State) is tough. They’re going to test us for sure.”