West Campus apartment complex fire displaces 10 people

Evan L’Roy

A fire displaced about 10 residents at a West Campus apartment complex Tuesday afternoon, said Thayer Smith, division chief of the Austin Fire Department.

Austin Fire Department put the fire out at 4:27 p.m. Tuesday, according to an Austin Fire Info tweet. 

Smith said the fire began in the ceiling space between the first and second floor of the building at Croix Condominiums because of an electrical issue. Smith said affected residents will be moved until electricity is restored.

Neuroscience senior Kiersten Vicknair said she lives in the apartment above where the fire began. 

Vicknair also said that WiFi and power went out prior to the fire beginning.

Vicknair said she did not hear any fire alarms, but when her room above where the fire occurred filled with smoke, she left the apartment. 

“My neighbors were screaming from outside, so I was able to get out pretty fast,” Vicknair said.

Vicknair said residents affected by the fire are able to be in their apartments without electricity. She said they will hear more information soon about if they will be moved somewhere else and when the power will come back on.

“Firemen said they’re working with management (of the complex) to see if they can get power back and (let us) stay in our apartments or if they need to move us to another unit at the complex,” Vicknair said. “I’m able to stay in my apartment (for now), but they’re working with Austin Energy right now to try and restore power.”