Longhorns earn 1st road victory of season over Texas State

In the two teams’ first meeting since the Bobcats walked-off against the Longhorns in 2019, No. 19 Texas escaped Bobcat Ballpark in San Marcos with a 10-3 victory over Texas State. 

Redshirt freshman pitcher Pete Hansen got the start for the Longhorns and had a solid performance until the third inning, when he was relieved by redshirt senior Palmer Wenzel due to an apparent but unknown injury.

Five total Texas pitchers combined for five strikeouts and only gave up six hits on the night. The Longhorns also stranded seven Bobcat runners on base.

Redshirt freshman catcher Silas Ardoin and redshirt freshman infielder Trey Faltine both had solid nights at the plate as the two combined for four hits and seven RBIs on seven at-bats.

The Longhorns got on the board in the second inning when Faltine hit a two-run home run to left field. A short moment later, graduate senior outfielder Mike Antico followed with a fielder’s choice grounder, allowing the runner on third to come home to give Texas a 3-0 lead.

Texas State followed up Texas’ fast start with a triple from its leadoff batter in the bottom of the second, which eventually turned into a run on a fielder’s choice, closing the gap to 3-1.

The Bobcats cut into the lead once again in the third inning when a costly Texas fielding error allowed a runner on base and a subsequent wild pitch moved him to second. Two walks later, the bases were loaded with a full count. Wenzel could not find the strike zone, and he walked the batter, allowing a free run to walk home and bring the deficit to one run.

The Longhorns started strong in the seventh inning with runners on second and third. Redshirt junior infielder Zach Zubia singled, bringing a runner home. Shortly after, Ardoin stepped up to the plate with the bases loaded and hit a double to center field, bringing home three more runs. Eric Kennedy then hit an infield single, and the runner from second beat a throw to home, extending Texas’ lead to 8-2.

Texas State managed to score an additional run in the seventh inning when a batter tripled to right center.

Faltine came up big once again in the eighth inning by bringing home two more runners to grow the Longhorns’ lead to 10-3.

Freshman pitcher Aaron Nixon was brought on to close out the game in the ninth inning for the Longhorns. He did just that, forcing an infield double play that ended the ballgame.

Although Texas managed 10 runs, the Longhorns’ strike out woes continued with 14 Wednesday. Texas also left 11 runners stranded on base throughout the game, a number that they will look to decrease in the future.

After two-straight wins, Texas now holds a 5–4 record and are above .500 for the first time this season. The Longhorns now set their eyes on the Houston Cougars as they will begin a 3-game series on Friday at Darryl and Lori Schroeder Park in Houston.