No. 15 Texas gets their Red River revenge, beats No. 16 Oklahoma off clutch basket

0218_mbb_oklahoma
Courtesy of Texas Athletics

After squandering a 13-point lead, senior guard Matt Coleman and freshman forward Greg Brown stepped up in the clutch to give No. 15 Texas a 69-65 win over No. 16 Oklahoma on Thursday night in Norman, Oklahoma.

The first time Texas and Oklahoma met on the basketball court in January, the Longhorns were without three players and head coach Shaka Smart due to COVID-19 protocols, resulting in a one-point loss. This time around, a Texas squad at full strength got its revenge over its Red River rival.

“Watching that (January) game was one of the worst basketball experiences of my life,” Smart said. “I just felt helpless, and I knew our team was just less than whole … So just to find a way to come out of here with a win was big.”

Texas built up a 13-point lead in the first half, shooting at a high percentage and displaying stifling defense, holding the Sooners to 36.7% shooting in the first period. But in the second half, things quickly unraveled.

Multiple sloppy turnovers allowed for several easy Oklahoma scores in transition, resulting in the Sooners taking a 54-53 lead before junior guard Courtney Ramey made back-to-back 3-pointers to get the Texas train back on track.

“I just had some good looks,” Ramey said. “I believe in myself. I feel like I’m a great shooter, and great shooters are gonna shoot.”

Nursing a two-point lead with just over a minute remaining in the game, Ramey received a pass at the top of the key with a wide open look at the basket. Instead of taking the open 3-pointer, Ramey put the ball on the deck, drove into the paint and dumped the ball off to senior forward Jericho Sims for an easy slam to extend the lead.

“I could’ve (taken) the shot, but I think we got a better look with Jericho (Sims) dunking the ball,” Ramey said. “I just felt like I made the right play just dropping the ball and trying to create.”

After a rough outing Tuesday, Sims put forth his best game of the season Thursday, recording 16 points on 8-of-10 shooting and grabbing 12 rebounds.

“I think (on) Tuesday, I kind of reverted back to the beginning of the season (by) getting in foul trouble,” Sims said. “And tonight, I was on it.”

It’s no secret the Texas offense relies on its experienced guard trio in Coleman, Ramey and redshirt junior guard Andrew Jones. Coleman struggled for most of Thursday's game, but the senior picked the right time to make his first basket of the game with 13 seconds left in the game.

“He’s our leader,” Ramey said about Coleman. “He’s our point guard. Even if he doesn’t make that shot, you’re gonna ride and die with him each and every day.”

Thursday’s win came at a good time for the Longhorns, who are still looking to regain their early-season form heading into the Big 12 and NCAA tournaments.

“Each day is going to be an important day for us,” Ramey said. “I think if we have that mindset going forward, we can be one step closer to where we were (at the beginning of the season).”