Longhorns’ batting success leads to 15-2 mercy-rule win over UTRGV

Andrew Zamora

After sweeping South Carolina in a three-game series over the weekend, the Texas baseball team didn’t skip a beat as it resumed its dominant offensive play Tuesday night against UT-Rio Grande Valley. 

“Offensively, what a night,” Texas head coach David Pierce said. “We’ve continued to show some patience, which is also a part of our offense, and they did a nice job of not really getting out of the zone, not playing out of the score, but continuing to have good at-bats.”

The Longhorns came out firing on all cylinders, scoring two runs in the first inning to give themselves an early lead over the Vaqueros. Texas pulled away behind its six-run fifth inning to extend its lead to 10-2.

The Longhorns went on to score five more runs and defeated the Vaqueros 15-2 in a 10-run mercy-rule victory as the game was called in the seventh inning.

Texas was led at the plate by redshirt freshman catcher Silas Ardoin, who had one run on three hits and five RBIs, including a two-run homer in the bottom of the third inning. 

Pierce said it was encouraging to see Ardoin continue to improve with the Longhorns in his first year. 

“He’s a worker,” Pierce said. “He’s a kid that’s demanding on himself. He’s a kid that’s always been offensive but just hasn’t completely come out here yet.” 

The Longhorns had an incredible batting night as they recorded double-digit runs and hits for just the fifth time this season. The Vaqueros had to go deep into their bullpen to find someone who could stop Texas’ batters, but none were able to succeed. 

The same couldn’t be said for UTRGV, as its batters struggled against the Longhorns’ group of pitchers. The Vaqueros were only able to muster together two runs on five hits and two RBIs. 

UTRGV was led at the plate by redshirt junior utility player Freddy Rojas Jr., who had two of the Vaqueros’ five hits and one RBI. 

Texas’ pitching group was led by redshirt freshman pitcher Pete Hansen, who allowed just two runs on five hits and struck out four batters. 

It was an overall dominant performance for the Longhorns, particularly coming off a weekend where they swept South Carolina 3–0.

Pierce said he was awed that his team showed no mental hangover after their incredible play over the weekend. 

“I’ve said it from day one, this team likes to compete,” Pierce said. “They’re just right. Again, I said earlier in the year, I have no idea how many games we’re going to win, but I know that we’re going to get better every day.”

Texas looks to build on its momentum Friday night in Waco as it plays Baylor in the first of a three-game weekend series.