Texas offense ensures Red River Rivalry series win

Vicente Montalvo

In Saturday’s game against Oklahoma, the Longhorns were down 4-3 through five innings, having never led in the ballgame. Then, the experienced redshirt junior infielder duo of Cam Williams and Zach Zubia stepped up to the plate.

Williams tied the ballgame at 4-4 on a solo-shot home run to deep left field. Shortly after, Zubia managed to connect on a pitch of his own, sending it to center field for a two-run home run, giving the Longhorns a 6-4 lead.

Texas took the lead in the sixth inning and never looked back, downing the Sooners in an 11-6 victory at UFCU Disch-Falk Field behind a four-home run game from Texas batters, including two from Williams.

“I think it’s a reflection of our coaching staff and how well they prepare (the players) and their expectations,” head coach David Pierce said. “They’re definitely playing hard, and they’re playing with enthusiasm and, tonight, a lot of confidence.”

The Longhorns had one of their best days of offense so far this season, as Texas batters finished the contest with 15 hits and struck out only six times.

“Offensively, what a night,” Pierce said. “A lot of guys had good nights. (Batters) saw the ball well with a good approach.”

At times this season, the Longhorns have struggled with leaving runners on base. That was not the case this afternoon. Everything was working offensively, and they finished the contest leaving only six runners stranded.

Throughout the first five innings, Texas batters struggled to string together multiple hits.

“Another shaky start,” Pierce said. “I just like the way we didn’t panic. We picked one up and just continued to play.”

The Longhorn offense finally found a breakthrough with the homers from Williams and Zubia. The eight runs scored from the fifth to eighth innings ended up being more than enough to secure the victory.

In a great day at the batter’s box, Texas managed to put runs on the board in six of nine innings.

Redshirt junior pitcher Tristan Stevens got the start for the Longhorns and had himself a solid outing. For the third time in a row, Stevens managed to pitch six full innings as he gave up four runs on six hits while striking out seven Sooner batters.

With the victory on Saturday, the Longhorns are in position to sweep the Sooners in a three-game series for the first time since 2014.

The series finale is set for a 1 p.m. start Sunday.

“We love to secure the series, but I love the sweep,” Williams said.