Texas track & field easily disposes of in-state rival A&M at dual meet over weekend

Payton Luster

Texas and Texas A&M might not face off in football again for the foreseeable future, but Texas track & field gave Longhorns fans ultimate bragging rights over the weekend.

The Longhorns bested the Aggies by a grand margin on Saturday at Mike A. Myers Stadium, winning 125 of 146 points. The dual meet showcased that when the Longhorns are at their best, they’re borderline unstoppable.

The No. 2-ranked Texas women posted five top-10 nationally ranked performances at the dual meet on their way to defeating Texas A&M in 14 of the 19 scored events.

Senior Elena Bruckner was the high-point scorer for the Texas women, winning a trio of field events with a total of 15 points. Bruckner’s day started with an outstanding performance in the women’s hammer throw, breaking her personal record with a mark of 56.82m/186-5. She continued to find her groove in the discus with a 57.35m/188-2 mark. To cap one of the best days of her career, Bruckner won the shot put event with a mark of 16.84m/55-3.

The Texas women built upon this momentum on the track.

Junior Kynnedy Flannel tore up the track in the women’s 200-meter and 100-meter dash — accounting for two of the NCAA’s top women performances. Not only did she win individual titles in those events with personal-best times, her 100-meter race time of 11.23 seconds ranks her as the fourth-fastest in the NCAA. In her signature event, the 200-meter dash, Flannel posted an NCAA-leading time of 22.55 seconds.

Coming off the heels of breaking Jackie Joyner-Kersee’s 36-year-old collegiate record in the long jump at the Texas Relays, junior Tara Davis blew past the field in the women’s long jump and 100-meter hurdles.

Her time of 13.14 seconds in the hurdles easily earned her another individual title, moving her into ninth place in Texas history. Davis also posted a 6.71m/22-0.25 in the women’s long jump without a hurdle standing in her way.

On the men’s side, the sprints and distance teams propelled Texas to win 12 of 19 total events against the Aggies, earning 77.4% of the possible points.

The Longhorns won another sprint double — the 100-meter and 200-meter dash — with senior Micaiah Harris. Harris earned the first-place title with a 10.28 second mark in the 100 and posted the NCAA’s eighth-fastest time with a 20.63 second mark in the 200.

In the distance races, a trio of Longhorns swept the men’s 1,500-meter run. Junior Brendan Herbert led the pack with a time of 3 minutes, 48.61 seconds. Sophomores Yaseen Abdalla and Liam Walsh followed closely behind to finish second and third, respectively.

Senior John Rice and freshman Graydon Morris continued upon the Longhorns’ dominance in the distance races by finishing first and second in the 3,000-meter steeplechase, respectively.

The event marked Rice’s first steeplechase since the 2019 NCAA Outdoor Track and Field Championship, and his time of 8:49.32 earned him a long-awaited individual title. Morris, on the other hand, made his steeplechase debut with a personal best time of 9:06.09

Texas will have a well-deserved week off before taking a trip to San Antonio, Texas on April 15-16 for the Roadrunner Invitational.

Editor’s Note: This article first appeared in the April 6 issue of The Daily Texan.