Where to get your post-pandemic cut

Thomas Casler

Rapunzel-length locks and mullet comebacks have become iconic pandemic looks. But with the state of Texas opening up vaccine distribution to every adult, students who have gone months without a haircut can now think about starting fresh in the salon chair.

The Daily Texan has collected a list of Austin barbershops and salons for students hoping to return to their pre-pandemic length or get a new fade.

1. Wooten Barber Shop

With its wooden chairs and old-timey decor, Wooten feels like a blast from the past. Located on Guadalupe Street, Wooten Barber Shop retains the hominess of barbershops from yesteryear.

One of the main reasons students go to Wooten is the comfortable atmosphere and low prices. A haircut there will only cost $28.

“It’s not fancy. It’s not expensive,” computer engineering junior Ennis Salam said. “(The barbers) make good conversation.”

The barbers also offer a free neck massage using a massage gun with every haircut — a nice cherry on top of the experience.

2. Black Hair Unlimited and Braiding

Less than 10 minutes away from campus on Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard, Black Hair Unlimited and Braiding is a Black-owned business that specializes in extensions, protective hair care, braids, twists and more. Black Hair Unlimited and Braiding delivers negotiable pricing with a flexible schedule to meet the needs of UT students.

Owner Amanda Ngakoue said she takes pride in her quality work and the very friendly atmosphere at her salon.

Be sure to check out Black Hair Unlimited and Braiding if you want great services coupled with friendly employees.

3. iClips Hair and Nails

For students looking for a fade, ask for Matt, “The Fade King,” at iClips.

“I have yet to receive a fade as good from anyone else as I have from Matt,” finance senior Soham Rawal said.

iClips also offers haircuts for women as well as eyebrow threading and waxing. Located right on Guadalupe Street next to the Jesse H. Jones Building, iClips is only a few steps away from campus.

4. The Barbashop

Setting out to make sure their barbershop is as inclusive as possible, The Barbashop is a queer-friendly space that works with a wide variety of clients from different backgrounds. One of the barbers, Ru, even refers to themself as the @queerfriendlybarber on Instagram.

Barber Jordan Chandler described The Barbashop as “very caring” and “just trying to make a difference.” Located 10 minutes from campus on Springdale Road, The Barbashop offers haircuts and full face shaves for anyone and everyone.

5. Milk + Honey

For an Instagram-worthy haircut, students should look no further than Milk + Honey. A bit pricier than the other options listed, the salon’s services are great for students wanting to look fierce for that special occasion.

“I would really recommend it to people who are trying to get their hair done for a ring day or a graduation,” said advertising alumna Daria Erzakova.

With specialized services such as waxing and keratin treatments, Milk + Honey is the prime destination for customers willing to spend a little extra for a perfect cut while admiring the gorgeous interior.