5 businesses offering COVID-19 vaccination freebies, discounts

Ikram Mohamed

As of Sunday, 131.2 million people in the United States have received at least one dose of a COVID-19 vaccine. 

While this may seem like a large number, health professionals say herd immunity won’t be reached until at least 75% of the population is vaccinated, and the U.S. is currently 25.4% vaccinated. With some people still unsure about whether or not to receive the COVID-19 vaccine, some stores and restaurants are offering incentives to encourage people to book their vaccine appointment. 

The Daily Texan has compiled a list of five places students can get freebies or discounts for doing their part in getting vaccinated. 

Krispy Kreme

Krispy Kreme is offering a free glazed donut to customers who provide a valid COVID-19 vaccination card in store or in the drive-thru at participating U.S. locations, according to its website. The freebie is available for the rest of 2021, so customers can return to stores and get a free glazed donut every day. 

UTea Pho

2222 Rio Grande St. Bldg B, Ste 120 Austin, TX 78705

The West Campus favorite is offering vaccinated customers up to 10% off their orders. Those who have one dose will get 5% off their orders, while others who are fully vaccinated will receive 10% off. To receive this discount, customers must provide a valid vaccination card and a valid form of identification. 

Uber and Lyft

Understanding that lack of transportation is an obstacle for some to receive their vaccinations, riding services Uber and Lyft are providing millions of free or discounted rides to customers in underserved communities. The service, which is available in select cities, will provide individuals with transportation to and from their vaccination appointments. To receive a ride through Lyft, customers must access the riding service’s website, where the system will determine if they’re eligible for a free ride. For Uber, the service is primarily offering free rides to vaccination appointments at Walgreens through a partnership between the two companies. 

Office Depot and Staples

Seeing the sheer importance the COVID-19 vaccination card holds, experts are recommending that people keep their cards safe as it’s their main proof of vaccination. To ensure its protection, Office Depot and Staples are offering customers free laminations of their vaccination cards. Office Depot’s offer will be valid until July 25, and a coupon must be presented at the time of purchase. 

Drop 

Drop is an online rewards program that provides users with points on purchases that can be redeemed as cash rewards. Starting April 2, the company will be rewarding those who post a selfie on Instagram using #DropCOVID. The selfie must be posted on a public profile and include a “Just got my COVID-19 vaccine” sticker or a photo of you receiving the COVID-19 vaccination. The first 20,000 participants will receive up to $50 in points, which can be redeemed through merchants such as Sephora, Amazon and Uber. 

Paid Time Off

Companies across the nation such as Target, Trader Joe’s, Dollar General and McDonald’s, are offering employees paid time off or bonuses for receiving the COVID-19 vaccine. Students should ask their employers if they’re offering any compensation for vaccination.