UT President Jay Hartzell provides fall planning update, flexible work arrangements

Sheryl Lawrence

UT president Jay Hartzell released a fall planning update to the UT community Wednesday with information on flexible work arrangements for the fall.

Flexible work arrangements are a variation of where and when work is performed, which will allow some professors to continue working remotely in the fall. Examples of this system could include teleworking, flex-time and a compressed work week.

The 2021-2022 academic year will be the pilot year for more widespread flexible work arrangements, Hartzell said in his announcement. He said this plan “can help us attract and retain even more talented staff members.”

Throughout June, individual colleges will develop plans on how flexible work arrangements will be arranged based on the University’s guidelines. In July, departments will determine whether and how to implement flexible work arrangements based on the college guidelines. 

Hartzell said faculty should direct any questions about the program to their supervisors and human resources representatives. 

Hartzell said the pandemic presented many challenges, but also presented new ways of learning and working.

“It wasn’t ideal — but not only did we make it work, we discovered some advantages,” Hartzell said in the message.

The announcement comes after the University removed the mask mandate and social distancing guidelines to be in accordance with Gov. Greg Abbott’s executive order regarding mask mandates.