Meet the 2021 Texas Women’s Soccer Team: Gold medalist, seasoned keeper and more

Vicente Montalvo

Editor’s Note: This article first appeared as part of the August 25 flipbook. 

Texas women’s soccer is set to have their home opener this Sunday evening against Georgetown. With experienced players returning and new additions, here are some players to be on the lookout for: 

Julia Grosso

After winning a gold medal at the 2020 Tokyo Olympics with the Canadian Women’s National Team, Grosso is looking to win it all in her senior campaign. Since winning a share of Big 12 Freshman of the Year, Grosso has continued to improve easily, making her a generational talent. Starting and leading the midfield in all 12 matches last season, Grosso found the back of the net five times while assisting teammates four times. Having the opportunity to play against some of the best players in the world, Grosso will look to bring her skills back to the Forty Acres for one last campaign. 

Savannah Madden 

The experienced fifth-year goalkeeper is back for another year in  burnt orange and white. After playing all 90 minutes in all12 matches during last year’s prolonged season, Madden is looking to lead not just the defense but the entire squad. Last season, she tallied seven shutouts while only giving up just nine goals. This past April against conference rival Baylor, she tied the Texas goalkeeper record for most saves in a game that was set in 2000. With Madden in between the sticks, attackers are going to have a difficult time scoring against the Longhorn defense.

Emma Regan

The senior outside back from British Columbia is one of the most experienced players on the roster after starting all games in both her sophomore and junior seasons. Last fall, Regan played the full 90 in 11 of 12 matches for a total of 1,077 minutes. She pushed herself to do something  she hadn’t accomplished in her previous two seasons for Texas: find the back of the net. Look for Regan to be a steady defender in the backline while also having the ability to break forward when needed to create chances not only for teammates but also for herself.

Cameron Brooks

The senior forward is looking to beat the opposition defense all season. Brooks appeared in all 12 games last season, starting in eight of them. She scored three times, including the game-winning goal against Baylor last season. Be on the lookout for Brooks to keep her head up and shoot fearlessly at goal.

Carlee Allen

The homegrown midfielder is ready for her senior campaign after starting every game the previous two years for Texas. Last season, Allen was only subbed out three times in the 12 matches played, making her an integral part of the Texas midfield. She assisted the game-winning goal against Baylor last season for her only assist of the year. Allen will likely tally even more minutes this season as she sets out for her last campaign in the burnt orange and white.

Lauren Lapomarda 

In her second year in Austin, the in-state talent looks to develop and settle into her role in the Texas backline. In her freshman season, Lapomarda started in nine contests including four in a row in which she played the full 90 minutes. With so much collegiate experience gained during her first year, Lapomarda is primed for the sophomore leap and could cement herself as a key figure in the Longhorn defense. 

Tatiana Fung

The flexible midfield or forward freshman from California was one of the most sought-after recruits during the last recruiting cycle. Fung has participated in multiple camps with the United States Women’s National Team at the Under-15, Under-16 and Under-17 level. Look out for this talented freshman to make an instant impact on Texas’ attack this season.

Trinity Byars

The No. 1 rated overall prospect and forward according to Top Drawer Soccer’s 2021 IMG Academy rankings is on the Forty Acres. An impressive attacker who has developed and participated with the United States Women’s National Team from Under-14 through Under-19, Byars is looking to make an immediate impact for Texas. Be on the lookout for Byars to devastate the opposition’s defense and score early and often this season in a breakout campaign.