10 useful hidden gems on the Forty Acres

Dina Barrish, Life & Arts Desk Editor

Editor’s Note: This article first appeared as part of the August 31 flipbook. 

Hey Longhorns (even seasoned seniors), it’s time to find a new favorite spot on the Forty Acres. The Daily Texan compiled a list of useful places you just don’t want to miss.

Waller Creek

When herds of noisy tourists disrupt the peace and quiet of the Turtle Pond, head toward the most theatrical corner of campus, the F. Loren Winship Drama Building, to enjoy the calm and serenity of Waller Creek. Stand on the bridge to feel all those school stressors melt away. 

Jester East Kitchen

On days when Jester City Limits and Jester 2nd Floor Dining don’t fulfill those fettuccine alfredo cravings, hit the kitchen on the first-floor lobby at Jester East to chef up a delectable surprise for roommates, friends and lucky passerby. No hungry Longhorns! 

Texas Memorial Museum

Located on Trinity Street across from the Music Building and Recital Hall, the iconic long stairway and lion sculptures of the Texas Memorial Museum

immediately attract visitors. Venture inside Austin’s first science museum for a rich tour of Texas history Tuesdays through Saturdays from 9:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. and 2:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m. 

Recreational Sports Center

When all the treadmills at Gregory Gymnasium are taken, don’t resort to pajamas and a bag of chips just yet. Blast that workout playlist and jog past Jester East Dormitory to the Recreational Sports Center on San Jacinto Boulevard. Hit the track at the nearby Caven Lacrosse and Sports Center at Clark Field for an outdoor run, or head inside the Rec Center to lift weights and crunch those abs. 

Campus Post Office

For sending letters to family and friends — or, more realistically, returning Amazon packages — the post office on Inner Campus Drive is a convenient resource. Don’t forget stamps! 

Honors Quad Basement 

Known as the “Q,” the recreational room in the Andrews Residence Hall basement features a ping-pong table, TV, foosball table and couches for lounging with friends. Don’t be fooled — honors students know how to have a good time.

Campus Computer Store 

Is your computer broken? Are you missing one airpod? Do you feel like going on an elaborate shopping spree? Well, look no further than the Campus Computer Store. Nestled within the Flawn Academic Center, UT’s own “Genius Bar” not only buys and sells electronics, it also offers student discounts. 

Jester West Basement

After devouring a slice (or three) of Jesta’ Pizza, take two flights downstairs to study in the Jester West Basement. Ace group projects at the big tables and open space, or use the study room to cram solo.

Union Underground 

Neon lights, bowling, air hockey, refreshments and more. Have fun on a budget in the basement of the Texas Union. Bevo Bucks accepted. 

Etter-Harbin Alumni Center 

Grab a coffee or a bite to eat at Texas EXpresso, and study outside among century-old oak trees. Sponsored by the Texas Exes Foundation and located across the street from the Darrell K Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium, the space serves as a wedding venue, conference center and reception site.