New man in charge brings new wave of coaching staff

Hannah Williford, Sports Reporter

Editor’s note: This story first appeared as part of the September 3 Double Coverage flipbook.

In a new era of Texas football, head coach Steve Sarkisian came to Austin with a fresh coaching staff in mind. With 11 assistant coaches, only three return from previous seasons, including co-defensive coordinator Jeff Choate, wide receivers coach Andre Coleman and running backs coach Stan Drayton. Here are the eight new coaches making their burnt orange debuts on Saturday:

Kyle Flood

Offensive coordinator and offensive line coach Kyle Flood joined the staff in January after following Sarkisian from Alabama, where he worked as an offensive line coach for two seasons under esteemed  head coach Nick Saban. During his time in Tuscaloosa, Flood groomed multiple first-round draft picks from the offensive line and helped win the 2021 National Championship. Before his stint at Alabama, Flood was Rutgers’ head coach for four seasons where he helped to lead the Scarlet Knights to three bowl game appearances.

Pete Kwiatkowski

Pete Kwiatkowski joins Texas from Washington where he resumes his role as a defensive coordinator and outside linebackers coach. Before the former Washington defensive coordinator made his move to Texas, Kwiatkowski spent seven seasons in Washington and four seasons at Boise State, where he began his football career as a player in the 1980s. Kwiatkowksi has been praised for his stability, with eight defenses ranked in the top-15 over his combined 11 years in Washington and Idaho. During his time with the Huskies, Washington won the Pac-12 Conference twice.

Jeff Banks

Another Alabama coaching product follows Sarkisian to Texas. Former Alabama special teams coordinator and tight ends coach Jeff Banks joined the Texas coaching staff in January to continue coaching in his respective roles, in addition to a third role as assistant head coach. Banks held the same coaching position for three years at Alabama under Saban and five years at Texas A&M. During the Crimson Tide’s national championship season, Alabama had zero blocked kicks and ranked ninth in punt return average. Under Banks’ leadership, Alabama kicker Will Reichard made every field goal and extra point of the 2020 season after a tumultuous season in 2019.

Blake Gideon

Texas alumnus Blake Gideon returns to the Forty Acres this season after two special teams coordinator jobs at Ole Miss and Houston. Although the former Texas defensive back and team captain worked as a special teams coach in his previous jobs, Gideon will come back to his roots as Texas’ safeties coach.

Bo Davis

The Detroit Lions’ Bo Davis returns to Texas this season as the defensive line coach after working in Detroit and Jacksonville with the Jaguars. In between Davis’ time in the NFL, he served  as a defensive line coach at Alabama from 2014 to 2015, where he also worked under Nick Saban for four seasons between 2007 to 2010 in the same role. In 2017, Davis served as the defensive line coach at UT-San Antonio and was a part of a defense that ranked fifth nationally in total defense. Davis’ football career began at LSU where he played for the Tigers as a nose guard.

Terry Joseph

Sarkisian brings in defensive passing game coordinator and secondary coach Terry Joseph from South Bend, Indiana. Joseph held the same role with the Fighting Irish for three seasons, where the team finished 25th in total defense in 2020 and made its way to the College Football Playoff. Before his time at Notre Dame, Joseph worked at North Carolina and Texas A&M as the defensive backs coach at both.

AJ Milwee

AJ Milwee also followed Sarkisian from Alabama to Texas, where he will now serve as a quarterback coach. As Saban’s offensive analyst, Milwee was a part of Alabama’s 2020 National Championship team. Prior to his time in Tuscaloosa, Milwee acted as Akron’s offensive coordinator.

Torre Becton

From California, Torre Becton joins the Texas coaching staff as the director of football performance, which functions as an intermediary role for the team. Becton comes from a similar position with the Bears where he spent four seasons.