Texas women’s cross country brings home perfect score, win for second time this season

Emily Schumacher, Sports Reporter

The Texas women’s cross country team did not need opposing teams to remain competitive on Friday night at the Concordia Classic in Pflugerville. 

The Longhorns’ main competitors were each other, as they claimed the first seven places in the women’s 6k event. The runners earned a perfect score of 15 points and a first-place title for the second time this season. 

Even though these women run against each other every day, they were still able to push one another to the highest level during races. 

Senior Beth Ramos led the competition with a winning time of 20:49.4. Senior sisters Isabel Hebner and Monica Hebner finished just over one second apart at 21:30.1 and 21.32.4. Their sisterly love could not stop them from remaining fierce competitors and running side by side throughout the race.

Freshman Eva Jess continues to start off her collegiate career strong, as she received a personal record time of 21:43.3. Despite this being her second 6k race ever, she shaved 30 seconds off her race time from last week at the Cowboy Jamboree. 

Following less than a second behind was junior Alexa Rodriguez with a new personal record of 21:43.6.  The rivaling times between Jess and Rodriguez keep demonstrating how the Longhorns are able to hold each teammate accountable for running at the top level. 

Finishing in the top ten spots were Kelsie Vicknair, Maddie Hatfield, Alyssa Duhart and Grace Johnson. This was Vicknair’s first race of the 2021 season. 

The Longhorns will compete in three weeks at the FSU invitational in Tallahassee, Florida, on Oct. 15.