Brand-new burnt orange: the fresh recruits joining Texas Athletics.

Nick Hargroue, Sports Reporter

Good coaching and performance on the playing field are key to a winning program, but an equally important part of that success is getting the right players in the building. 

Here is a recap of several of Texas Athletics’ newest recruits as of Oct. 3:

Texas Football

Bryan Allen Jr., 4* Safety, Aledo HS (TX)

Jamarion Miller, 4* Running Back, Tyler Legacy HS (TX)

Justice Finkley, 4* Defensive Lineman, Hewitt-Trussville HS (AL)

After a furious Twitter campaign spearheaded by previous Texas commits, #FinkleyToAustin finally came to fruition with the 6’2, 255-pound lineman’s commitment to the University of Texas at Austin on Sept. 9. 

Finkley is a blue-chip, versatile defensive weapon that new defensive coordinator Pete Kwiatkowski can utilize in his fronts, giving Texas’ defensive line some extra juice. This commitment shows Texas’ ability to visit the state of Alabama and steal a great recruit away from the Crimson Tide. Beefing up the front seven will continue to be a point of emphasis for the coaching staff in order to compete during transition into the SEC in the coming years.

Maalik Murphy, 4* Quarterback, Junipero Serra HS (CA)

Jaydon Blue, 4* Running Back, Klein-Cain HS (TX)

Jaray Bledsoe, 4* Defensive Lineman, Marlin HS (TX)

J’mond Tapp, 4* EDGE, Ascension Catholic HS (LA)

Armani Winfield, 4* Wide Receiver, Lewisville HS (TX)

Austin Jordan, 4* Safety, Ryan HS (TX)

Kristopher Ross, 4* Defensive Lineman, North Shore HS (TX)

Derrick Brown, 4* EDGE, Texas High (TX)

Not only is Derrick Brown incredible on the field, but he also does a great job of recruiting other athletes in the Class of 2022 to Texas. Brown is constantly on Twitter, actively campaigning for recruits like four-star TE Jaleel Skinner and four-star WR Johntay Cook to come to the 40 Acres. Brown is an athletic force of nature, playing both edge rusher and running back for his Texas High team. His raw athleticism, versatility and ability to get after the quarterback will be a sorely needed skill-set on the defense with last year’s departure of edge rusher Joseph Ossai in the draft.

Aaron Bryant, 4* Defensive Lineman, Southaven HS (MS)

Cole Hutson, 4* Interior Offensive Lineman, Frisco HS (TX)

Zac Swanson, 4* Defensive Lineman, Brophy College Preparatory (AZ)

Trevell Johnson, 3* Linebacker, Martin HS (TX)

Connor Robertson, 3* Interior Offensive Lineman, Westlake HS (TX)

Anthony Jones, 3* Athlete, Liberty HS (NV)

Eoghan Kerry, 3* Linebacker, Mater Dei HS (CA)

Ronald Lewis, 3* Cornerback, Warren Easton HS (LA)

Ronald Lewis is a lengthy, 6’1 corner who will help bolster an aging secondary. He placed second in the 110-meter hurdles (14.31) and third in the 300-meter hurdles (39.98) at the Louisiana 4A State Track Meet his junior year, showing his great leaping ability and speed, two key skill-sets for a corner at the college level. It took Lewis all of one day to commit to Texas after he was offered on Aug. 5th, highlighting the momentum the Longhorns are gaining on the recruiting trail.

Will Stone, 3* Kicker, Regents School (TX)

Lance St. Louis, 3* Longsnapper, Williams Field HS (AZ)

Texas Men’s Basketball

Arterio Morris, PG, Kimball HS (TX)

Arterio Morris is an athletic 6-foot-3 point guard with plus offensive and defensive skills. His skill set is reminiscent of a young Victor Oladipo — he is extremely explosive off the bounce and can get to the rim when he wants. Morris also has a solid outside jump shot, making him a nightmare to guard night in and night out. He will bring a dependable scorer and a fiery personality to the Texas locker room, which fits the culture that coach Chris Beard is trying to build. Morris values intensity and effort on the defensive side of the ball with his switching scheme, and he loves to get the ball in the hands of his best scorers. The point guard promises to be a great pick-up for an already loaded Texas men’s basketball squad.

Texas Volleyball

Emma Halter, Libero/Defensive Specialist, Roncalli HS (IN)

Kenna Miller, OH/MB/Defensive Specialist, Northwest HS (TX)

Mariana Singletary, MB, Porter-Gaud High (SC)

A 6’4 middle-blocker who excels at getting points on the board, Mariana Singletary is MaxPreps’ ninth highest rated volleyball player in the state of South Carolina. Singletary has an astounding 1841 kills in her high-school career, with a hitting percentage of .334. With Singletary’s incredible athleticism and knack for getting kills, Texas Volleyball’s future looks bright indeed.

Texas Women’s Basketball

Jordanna Codio, 4* G, American Heritage HS (FL)

Jordanna Codio is a 6-foot-1 guard out of American Heritage who excels at putting the ball in the basket over, and over and over again. Codio averaged a whopping 22.0 points per game in her varsity career, and also serves as her team’s captain. Not only is she great on the offensive side of the ball, but she also averages 1.8 steals per game and 1.3 blocks per game as a guard. Her all-around game and leadership skills will be a great building block for coach Vic Schaefer’s 2023 team, as Texas Women’s Basketball looks to build upon last year’s successful postseason run.

Ndjakalenga Mwenentanda, 4* W, Washington HS (SD)

Amina Muhammad, 4* F, DeSoto HS (TX)