Texas men’s swim & dive takes charge against Incarnate Word Cardinals at first home meet

Emma Hutchinson, Sports Reporter

The reign of the Texas men’s swim and dive team continued Friday afternoon at the Lee and Joe Jamail Swimming Center as the Longhorns competed in their first meet of the season against the University of the Incarnate Word Cardinals.

And Texas made every second count.

The Longhorns earned close wins against the Cardinals, coming away with first place finishes just milliseconds ahead of their opponents and leaving fans on the edge of their seats. But as expected, the team swept the competition, coming out on top with a final score of 194, as Incarnate Word settled with a score of 98. Coby Carrozza, Peter Larson, Jake Foster, Drew Kibler and Daniel Krueger were among those to receive first place finishes.

Starting off with the 1000-yard freestyle, Longhorns Carson Foster and David Johnston went head-to-head, staying by each other’s side the entire time, with Johnston having a 0.01 second lead toward the six minute mark. Foster put the pedal to the metal during the final minutes and clutched first place with a final time of 8:59:93. Johnston inched in at 9:00:88, giving the Longhorns a first and second place finish in the first event.

Another close following at the 200-yard freestyle came from sophomore Carrozza who racked up another first place finish for Texas with a time of 1:37:84. UIW freshman Fabio Fasolo finished close behind with a time of 1:38:83. Junior Caspar Corbeau fell short in the 200-yard freestyle and 100-yard butterfly, yet the star swimmer hopes to shake off the first meet jitters in time for next Friday.

Senior and defending Big 12 Champion Alvin Jiang also faced a time crunch against Fasolo in the 50-yard freestyle, tagging behind Fasolo’s 20:48 lead by just 16 milliseconds. Despite Fasolo’s powerhouse performances, Krueger avenged his teammate during the 100-yard freestyle, where he beat Fasolo with a time of 43.76.

The Longhorns didn’t only perform well in swimming; Texas took first through sixth place in 1-meter dive and first through fifth in the 3-meter dive, with the team’s fifth-year returner Jordan Windle grasping the top spot in both events, sending a total of 18 points to the Longhorns scoreboard.

Although the pressure was building, not even time could get away from the dominating force of the Longhorns; the team proved itself in the 100-yard breaststroke, 200-yard butterfly and 200-yard backstroke, receiving first, second and third place titles in each.

Every member of the team put in maximum effort to help Texas secure the win, and for each event, the Longhorns cheered on their teammates from the edge of the pool loud and proud. The women’s team showed out in the pools as well, bringing home a higher final score than the men, coming in at 212 points against Incarnate Word’s 81 points.

Looking to continue this successful start to the season, the team will travel to College Station to compete against Texas A&M on Oct. 15.