Texas Women’s Basketball 2021-2022 Season Outlook

Amsal Madhani, Sports Reporter

Coming off a season with a crushing loss to the Gamecocks, Texas women’s basketball returns this upcoming season with high hopes of returning back to the spotlight. 

The team took a huge hit with the departure of forward Charli Collier, who was drafted number one overall in the 2021 WNBA Draft. But with a few new additions to the team along with some returning players, Texas is still one of the best teams in the Big 12, tied at second in the preseason rankings for the 2021-2022 season. 

Head coach Vic Schaefer will have some familiar faces to work with as he looks to find a solid core to build around for the upcoming season. Here’s five players to watch out for before the season kicks off, including key returning piece and senior center Lauren Ebo: 

Lauren Ebo

Following a postseason where she averaged nearly six rebounds per game, Ebo is going to be counted on as a presence on the glass with this new roster. One aspect of her game that can still be improved on is her scoring. Ebo, with her 6’4” frame, has the size and the ability to be a great finisher around the rim. She can be a threat in the pick and roll alongside another key returning player in junior guard Joanne Allen-Taylor. 

Joanne Allen-Taylor

Allen-Taylor is coming off a year where she averaged career highs in points, assists and steals per game. She can create a shot from nearly anywhere on the court with her scoring ability, and has sneaky good pass vision at the guard position. 

Allen-Taylor will need to work on cutting down in the turnover department, however, as she averaged 2.2 turnovers per game in the regular season. She did reduce that number in the playoffs to 0.7 per game and will look to continue to keep that number low heading into the 2021-2022 season. The senior will have some help maintaining a low turnover rate this upcoming season with the addition of freshman guard Rori Harmon. 

Rori Harmon

Harmon, who was ranked the No. 10 overall prospect by ESPN coming out of Houston, and third of all guards, adds tremendous flexibility for this Texas team at the guard position. She has an explosive burst and can get to the rim at ease. The freshman also brings great playmaking ability to the table as she averaged five assists per game throughout her high school career. She brings tremendous versatility to Texas’ backcourt and could be a key piece to another NCAA Championship run. 

Aaliyah Moore

Another big addition for the Longhorns this offseason was the acquisition of freshman forward Aaliyah Moore. Moore came out of high school as ESPN’s No. 6 overall prospect in the nation and the second ranked forward in her class.  She has a solid 6’1” frame which allows her to finish through contact at ease and has great speed to drive by defenders making her one of the best finishers at the rim in her class. Moore also brings a great presence on the boards, using her size to box out opposing players and grab rebounds at a high rate. 

Latasha Lattimore

A surprising pickup in the offseason was the addition of freshman forward Latasha Lattimore, who originally committed to Syracuse before ultimately re-committing to Texas a few days before the start of the 2021-2022 school year. She was the No. 38 overall prospect by ESPN in her class out of Toronto, Canada. A 6’4” forward with a long wingspan, she brings a superior defensive presence to the Longhorn’s frontcourt. She’s a tenacious rebounder who has great downcourt vision, often starting fast breaks for her team. Lattimore can be a major component of a fast-paced offense that would be hard to stop on the fast break. 

Coach Schaefer may not have star Charli Collier anymore, but he still has a group of talented players, some returning and some new, who are hungry to get Texas back to the NCAA Championship. With their first preseason game less than three weeks away, the No. 2 Longhorns come into the season with high expectations and hunger for more success.