Longhorns in the NFL: Week 1 Recap

Christina Huang, Sports Reporter

Editor’s Note: This article first appeared as part of the September 17 Double Coverage flipbook.

While some Longhorns are no longer playing within the walls of DKR, they still represent Texas football in the big leagues. Four former Longhorns impressed on both sides of the ball in Week 1 of the 2021 NFL season.

Charles Omenihu

Houston Texans defensive end Charles Omenihu is set to have a breakout year during his third season in the NFL due to his impressive performances during the preseason. The Texans defeated the Dallas Cowboys 20-14 during their second preseason game, with Omenihu playing a major part in Houston’s victory. Omenihu concluded the game against the Cowboys with three solo tackles, two sacks, two quarterback hits and one fumble recovery. The Texans’ season opening win against first round draft pick Trevor Lawrence and the Jacksonville Jaguars gave Houston a right start to the season with a final score of 37-21. Omenihu and the Texans face Baker Mayfield and the Cleveland Browns in Week 2, where the former Longhorn matches up against an Oklahoma Sooner. Omenihu played for Texas from 2015 to 2018, and was named 2018’s Big 12 Defensive Lineman of the Year. The Texans drafted him in the fifth round of the 2019 NFL Draft and he has played in Houston since.  The Texans face Baker Mayfield and the Cleveland Browns in Week 2, where the former Longhorn matches up against an Oklahoma Sooner. Omenihu played for Texas from 2015 to 2018, and was named 2018’s Big 12 Defensive Lineman of the Year. The Texans drafted him in the fifth round of the 2019 NFL Draft and he has played in Houston since.

Brandon Jones

Miami Dolphins safety Brandon Jones recorded two solo tackles during Miami’s close 17-16 victory over the New England Patriots. Jones has acted as a solid defender for Miami since the Dolphins drafted him in 2020. During the 2020 season, Jones recorded 59 tackles and one quarterback hit. The Dolphins travel into Week 2 facing Josh Allen and the Buffalo Bills for a game where Jones could give Allen some trouble down the field. Jones proudly wore the burnt orange from 2016 to 2019 and was named a fourth-team preseason All-Big 12 during his senior season. Miami drafted him in the third round of the 2020 NFL Draft.

Quandre Diggs

Quandre Diggs’ offseason did not shy away from drama, as he was entangled in a contract-related dispute with the Seattle Seahawks. Diggs is currently in the final year of his contract with Seattle and briefly held out negotiations in an attempt to obtain more money. ESPN reported that Diggs’ $5.05 million salary was converted into a signing bonus, allowing Diggs to receive a hefty pay day. Diggs has been a monumental part of Seattle’s defense since 2019 when he was traded from the Detroit Lions. Diggs recorded five interceptions and 64 combined tackles during the 2020 season, finding his way to being named a first time Pro Bowler. The Angleton, Texas, product played during the Seahawks’ season opener against the Indianapolis Colts and recorded three solo tackles and two assisted tackles in Seattle’s 28-16 victory. The Seahawks’ next battle is a Sunday matchup against the Tennessee Titans, where Diggs will look to make a statement. Diggs represented Texas from 2011 to 2014 during the Mack Brown and Charlie Strong eras, respectively.

Samuel Cosmi 

Offensive tackle Samuel Cosmi struggled during the Washington Football Team’s season opener against the Los Angeles Chargers as the Chargers pulled off a close 20-16 win. Most of Cosmi’s challenges came from facing off against Joey Bosa, former NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year. Bosa regularly outplayed Cosmi during the game, and Cosmi was unable to put up any numbers. Cosmi will look to have a better performance Thursday night during primetime as he will not be going head-to-head against a three-time Pro Bowler. Cosmi led the Texas offensive line from 2017 to 2020, before Washington drafted him 51st overall in the 2021 NFL Draft.