Five spooky spots to participate in end of Sober October

Caroline Culberson, Life and Arts General Reporter

There’s nothing scarier than breaking free of the status quo this Halloween. Whether a year-round sober icon, or taking a break for health or charity, you’ve got the power to pick your poison this Sober October — a challenge started by Macmillan Cancer Support  — to make this notoriously boozy holiday fun without the bottle. The Daily Texan compiled a list of the most sober-friendly spots to spend the spookiest weekend of the year.

“Candyman” UT Showtime Screening – Oct. 28, 6 p.m. and 9 p.m., Texas Union Theater

Kick off the weekend celebration with a “Thirsty Thursday” show instead of a kick-back. Grab a fellow Longhorn or a non-student guest and enjoy Jordan Peele’s newest release. The on-campus location is a sure-fire safe harbor from any pressure to imbibe, and the thrills will keep students focused on fright. 

Black Swan Yoga Community Benefit Class – Oct. 31, 9 a.m., Black Swan Yoga Westgate

Sweat it out in corpse pose this Halloween at the donation-based yoga studio before the thrilling night, and donations go to Scares That Care — a volunteer organization providing money to lessen the financial burden of the families of those fighting life-threatening illnesses.

Ventana Ballet Presents: Undead, Haunted House of Dances Oct. 30-31, 7 p.m. and 9 p.m. each night, Spider House Ballroom

This immersive dance and theatre experience looks drop-dead gorgeous, with local theatre artists and dancers swirling around masked audience members (the N95 kind, not the masquerade kind … or maybe both). Enjoy a variety of mocktails, horchata, sparkling water or coffee drinks surrounded by unearthly opulence.

Samhain Witches Market – Oct. 30, 7 p.m.-11p.m., The Buzz Mill

A monthly celebration of Austin occult culture, the Austin Witches Market features vendors offering enchanting art, Tarot readings and more. On Saturday, celebrate Samhain, the Pagan festival that partly inspired the modern incarnation of Halloween. Stroll among the witchy stands and festive market-goers as cats on leashes dart past, enjoying a deeper magic than mulled wine can offer: an authentic Pagan community celebrating a holiday dating back to before the 10th century. 

Howl-O-Ween with Yard Bar and Love-a-Bull – Oct. 30, 1 p.m.-3 p.m, Yard Bar on Burnet Rd.

Yard Bar combines a dog park with a bar, offering picnic tables and fire pits where patrons can sip drinks while four-legged friends play. The menu offers four signature “all bark, no bite” mocktails, plus a specialty coffee drink and frozen lemonade. Attendees can enter their pet into a dog costume contest, but no canine companion is required to hang at the park!

Choosing to stay sober this holiday season can be hard. If you or someone you know is struggling, contact the Center for Students in Recovery here on campus.

Editor’s Note: An earlier version of this story stated that people were dressed as cats on leashes. The story has been updated to say that people were bringing their cats on leashes, not dressing up as them. The Texan regrets this error.