Four pitchers lead Longhorns to no-hitter, shutout as Texas softball ends fall season undefeated

Emily Schumacher

Texas softball finished its fall season undefeated.

In the Longhorns’ final games of the Fall 2021 season, Saturday’s double-header resulted in a complete blowout with a 13-0 win in the first game against Temple College and 15-1 no-hitter in the second against UTSA at Red and Charline McCombs Field.

The team played a total of seven games in the shorter fall season and won every game, including an 8-6 victory over Texas A&M. 

Freshman Sophia Simpson, junior Logan Hulon, junior Shea O’Leary and sophomore Courtney Day led the Longhorns on the mound the entire fall season.

The quartet’s efforts this season has pulled the team through to victory. On Saturday, the four combined to no-hit UTSA and shutout Temple.

The four standout pitchers ended with a combined 0.95 ERA and 73 strikeouts total. 

In the first game, Hulon shut down the lone Temple scoring opportunity in the top of the second. The Leopards advanced a runner to third after an error, wild pitch and groundout. But Hulon struck out the last batter in the inning.

The defense allowed the hitters to have their time to shine. Freshman infielder Mia Scott hit her first homerun of her collegiate career after a 250-foot shot that hit the scoreboard. Head Coach Mike White said her speed is causing opposing teams trouble.

Sophomore utility player Brianna Cantu also shined, ending the game with a two-RBI double to right. She hit 4-4 in both games, notching eight total RBIs, along with four doubles and two home runs.

“Brianna Cantu was a role player for us last year, and the way she’s playing this fall is making a strong case (for more playing time),” White said. 

Cantu didn’t just succeed at the plate. The sophomore also played her first game starting in center field against UTSA. 

“We just want to see her (play in center) more,” White said.

The Longhorns only took five innings in the second game to send the Roadrunners back home to UTSA with a final score of 15-1.

“The first three innings of the second game were dynamic. It was like rocket after rocket,” White said. “(UTSA’s) first pitcher against us did a really nice job, but we figured it out and kept rolling along.”

Simpson left it all on the field, as the freshman starting pitcher struck out five batters in a row. She combined with O’Leary for a five-inning no hitter after the junior came on in relief to strike out four batters in the last two innings.

After coming off a difficult playing schedule in the spring and being one win shy from earning a spot to play at the NCAA Women’s College World Series, Texas is ready to prove themselves. 

The spring softball team will be a much different dynamic compared to last year with all the new additions that have joined this fall.

“We have eight newcomers this year, so it’s a whole different look for the team,” said White. 

And so far, the new look is looking good.