Texas women’s cross-country takes 4th in Big 12 Championships

Emily Schumacher, Sports Reporter

The windy weather halted the hopes of personal records for every runner at the Big 12 Cross-Country Championships. The Longhorns were unable to continue their streak of earning personal records, despite reaching this goal at every meet this past season.

Senior Beth Ramos held her ground and kept the time gap to a minimum compared to others, clocking only a 19-second difference from the FSU Invitational.

In spite of the unusual conditions, the women snagged fourth place on Friday morning. While Texas refused to back down, the Big 12 competition proved to be aggressive in the fight for the title.

Oklahoma State ended up capturing the championship title at home in Stillwater. Texas scored 134 points in the 6K, a substantial 99 points away from the gold.

Previous champions Iowa State trailed closely behind OSU, only one point separated the Cyclones from protecting their prized title. West Virginia claimed third place in the competition.

Ramos demonstrated once again her willingness to lead the Longhorn women. She finished first on the team with a 19th place finish and time of 21:47.4.

Coming in second for the team was junior Alexa Rodriguez, clocking in with a time of 22:26.7 and a 28th finish. Freshman Eva Jess claimed the 30th spot of the race with a time of 22:35.5.

Jess and Rodriguez have remained close competitors throughout the season with Jess usually steps ahead. Friday’s meet was Rodriguez’s first time claiming the lead.

Finishing in 31st was senior Isabel Hebner, following only 4.4 seconds behind Jess. Ava Peeples and Monica Hebner kept the distance between each other miniscule, running times of 22:44.3 and 22:45.6

Texas will continue the postseason next month at the NCAA South Central Regionals in Waco.