Recruiting Recap: Learn more about the newest committed Longhorns

Nick Hargroue

Here is a recap of Texas’ most notable recruits as of Nov. 7:

Texas Baseball:

Cutter Coffey, SS/RHP, Liberty HS (CA)

Cutter Coffey is a 6-foot-2-inch two-way player that has the potential to be a playmaker in the middle of Texas’ infield. Coffey is very quick, running a 6.89 in the 60-yard dash while also having extremely quick feet to match. 

He isn’t an extreme power hitter, but Coffey does look to pull the ball when given the opportunity and has the ability to hit his fair share of home runs. His average exit velocity is 89 mph, which puts him around the 78th percentile for the class of 2022.

Coffey also has immense potential on the mound, with his fastball reaching speeds of 93 mph this past summer. He pairs his overpowering fastball with a power slider to keep hitters off balance.

Texas Football:

Brenen Thompson, 4* Wide Receiver, Spearman HS (TX)

Brenen Thompson is a shorter, albeit lightning fast, receiver intended to help freshman receiver Xavier Worthy take the top off the defense for the 2022 iteration of the Texas Longhorns. 

At only 5 feet, 10 inches tall, Thompson makes up for whatever he lacks in height with his blazing speed, running a 10.38 100 m as a junior in high school. Texas has struggled to recruit faster players in the past, typically going for the tall, physical receiver build. Under first-year head coach Steve Sarkisian, however, the Longhorns are recruiting speed at the position and relying on wide receivers coach Andre Coleman to develop these athletes into complete receivers.

The key for Thompson to become a truly dominant receiver is to add more weight to his frame, as he only weighs 165 pounds. For reference, last year’s Heisman Trophy winner for Sarkisian at Alabama, Devonta Smith, weighed around 170-175 pounds while being a good 2 inches taller than Thompson. A couple of extra pounds on Thompson’s frame will help him beat press coverage more often than not at the next level.

Jamel Johnson, 4* Safety, Seguin HS (TX)

Jamel Johnson is the first commitment for Texas football in the 2023 class, and hopes to aid an ailing Longhorn secondary as soon as he arrives on the Forty Acres.

Johnson is a 6-foot-1-inch, 175-pound heat-seeking missile of a safety, always looking to blow up the ball carrier and make plays on the receiver in the passing game. He earned first team all-district honors as a sophomore and was named the District 5-5A-II Freshman of the Year, so Johnson clearly still has more room to grow as a player.

His play style is reminiscent of current Longhorn sophomore safety Jerrin Thompson’s high school tape, where he flew around the field and looked to be around the ball at all times. Thompson has flashed that same ability on the Forty Acres with several impactful forced fumbles and interceptions. Hopefully Johnson can take over as the next generation of defensive backs and be even better once he arrives with the Class of 2023.

Texas Men’s Basketball:

Dillon Mitchell, 5* SF, Montverde Academy (FL)

Dillon Mitchell is a 6-foot-7-inch small forward with plus athleticism to get to the rim and stifle opposing offenses. He has great bounce, and his lateral quickness enables him to defend guards as well as forwards.

In an interview with Prospective Insight, Mitchell revealed that he played both football and basketball growing up, having played receiver due to his height, speed and leaping ability. He says that his mom encouraged him to try out for basketball in the fifth grade, and he never looked back. Mitchell’s natural instincts to high-point the ball in the air will lead to many highlight dunks and crucial rebounds when he arrives on the Forty Acres in 2022.

Mitchell’s style mirrors a lot of last year’s top recruit Greg Brown III, but hopefully Mitchell can make more of an immediate impact than Brown did. They both have a common weakness, which is jump shooting — however, they both have insane athleticism to compensate for their respective lack of technical skill compared to their contemporaries. If Mitchell can create off the dribble, the Longhorns are looking at a cornerstone piece to build their offense around for the 2022-2023 season.

Texas Men’s Tennis

Pierre-Yves Bailly, Belgium

Bailly is an international tennis prospect that made a name for himself at the junior level of the ITF. He is currently ranked No. 7 in the Junior ITF rankings, and looks to compete for the Longhorns as a spring enrollee in 2022.

Texas tennis is coming off a loss in the NCAA Championship semifinals to top-ranked Florida, so Bailly has the potential to provide a spark to the tennis program and push the team over the top for a national championship.