Longhorn men’s dive team prepares for tri-meet

Emma Hutchinson, Sports Reporter

Soaring to new heights this season, the Longhorns have already left an incredible impression with a current 3-0 winning streak. 

After tackling the Virginia Cavaliers in their first dual meet, the Horns diving team looks to defend its home pool at the Texas Diving Invitational tri-meet Nov. 18-20.  

No. 1 Texas will face a range of competitors, such as No. 10 Stanford, No. 16 Texas A&M and LSU. each equipped with All-American athletes.   

“It’ll be a real nice challenge, and we need to be challenged, because we’re gearing up for (the USA Diving) Winter Nationals in December,” head diving coach Matt Scoggin said. 

Despite the amount of success that’s been swarming around the team, Scoggin said that the divers analyze their mistakes and find new ways to improve with every event by using the negative aspects of their performance and turning them into motivating factors.  

“As a team, they’ve really been pushing each other in the weight room and on the boards, they remind one another to just keep working hard even if things aren’t going as planned at that moment,” Scoggin said. “I think we’re headed in a real positive direction.”

Sophomore Noah Duperre stepped up to the board this season after slowly recovering from summer injuries and hopes to claim his first individual title of the season. 

Duperre has crept up the leaderboards, receiving a second place finish in the 3-meter this past meet against the Cavaliers, not far behind teammate Jordan Windle. Scoggin said the sophomore has been improving with every event and is a name to watch out for as the season unfolds.  

“Our sophomore Noah Duperre has really been making a nice comeback,” Scoggin said. “Each day he’s getting stronger, so I’m looking forward to a nice competition for him.”

Windle has been a dominant force on the team, claiming multiple first place sweeps and pool records for the Longhorns. The graduate student was recently awarded Big 12 Diver of the Week for the third time this season and 20th time in his career.  

Texas will be challenged again at the USA Diving Winter Nationals Dec. 13-19, which, according to Scoggin, is what the team has been gearing up for.