3 for 3: The good, the bad and the future in Texas football

Margaret Wirick, Sports Reporter

In the face of an almost unprecedented five-game losing streak capped off with a home loss to Kansas, The Daily Texan takes a look at the good, the bad and the future for Texas football.

The Good

Xavier Worthy caught his most receptions in a game this season for 152 yards. Despite limping off the field after a few plays, Worthy caught three touchdown passes, his most this season. His season total of touchdown receptions now sits at 11, passing Roy Williams for the most by a Texas freshman all-time.

The only way Texas’ offense managed to make any traction was through the passing game. The Longhorns completed 33 passes through the air for a total of 410 yards, the most passing yards thrown in a game this season. Junior wide receiver Marcus Washington made his best showing of the season with five receptions for 100 yards and two touchdowns, his highest yardage total and first scores this year.

Redshirt junior quarterback Casey Thompson threw six touchdowns, tying the Texas record for most touchdowns thrown in a single game. Thompson also leads Big 12 quarterbacks in passing touchdowns on the year. His play stood out as one of the main bright spots from an overall dreary night.

The Bad

The turnovers committed by Texas were deadly. Kansas capitalized on the Longhorns’ mistakes in the first half, scoring after both times Texas fumbled. In Texas’ next possession following the fumbles, redshirt freshman quarterback Hudson Card threw a pick-6 with barely a minute left in the half. Thompson took the field on the next drive and remained in for the rest of the game. Head coach Steve Sarkisian confirmed Thompson will be the starting quarterback this Saturday.

The Longhorns committed 10 penalties for a loss of 97 yards. Three flags were thrown against Texas for unsportsmanlike conduct. The last one gave Kansas prime starting position in overtime, placing the Jayhawks just 12 yards from the end zone rather than the usual 25 after Washington was flagged for unsportsmanlike conduct.

To put it nicely, Kansas walked all over Texas’ defense. Here’s a comparison of the Jayhawks’ season averages before playing Texas and what they put up on the Longhorns:

Season Average Before Texas Against Texas
Rushing Yards

138.1

218
Passing yards 168 202
Total Offensive Yards 306 420
3rd Down Conversion Rate 32% 64.7%

Out of 130 NCAA teams, Kansas would have been ranked close to 125th in third down conversions with their 32% average.

The Jayhawks passed their previous season high in points scored by 24 points. Kansas has not scored more than 57 points in a game since 2007. Texas’ defense could not contain the previously 1-8 Jayhawks in any offensive component.

The Future

Injuries continue to plague the Longhorns. Freshman running back Jonathan Brooks sustained a shoulder injury, putting him on a weekly watch list. Senior defensive back Josh Thompson is out for the season with a fractured fibula. At the end of the third quarter, star running back Bijan Robinson walked the entire field to the locker room. Sarkisian confirmed Monday the sophomore will be out for the remainder of the season with a dislocated shoulder.

Texas’ chance to make it to a bowl game now rests on the next two games. The Longhorns must win both to be eligible. West Virginia has the same 4-6 record as Texas, but with the Mountaineers playing at home this week, they are favored by a couple points.

The Longhorns have struggled with consistency all season long. Sarkisian said that losing gives the team an opportunity to address its weaknesses, yet individual strides can’t compensate for a disjointed team. Consistency and cohesiveness is imperative.

“The one thing I want to get done here in the final two ball games is I want to see us play a complete football game in all three phases,” Sarkisian said.

Saturday at West Virginia will give the Longhorns their next shot at doing so.