Associate managing editor writes last column, stays on brand by forgetting to upload it

Hannah Lopez

If I’m being completely honest, I had no intention of working for the Texan this semester.

When I got the phone call asking me to try out for associate managing editor last summer, I hesitated. After working in the opinion department for two years, and spending half of that time online due to COVID-19, I was exhausted.

But I think saying yes was one of the best decisions I could have ever made.

I faced a lot of loneliness during the pandemic, but the Texan has brought me so much laughter, happiness, and community this year. Despite the pain and tears it has caused me through the years, I am so thankful to have been part of this organization.

Sanika, thank you for making the phone call that pushed me to stay with the Texan this semester. You’ve been here since the very beginning, and I’m so happy that I was able to end my last year of college with you still by my side.

Abhirupa, despite the Texan contributing to about half of my stress levels while at college, it also brought me my best friend. Thank you for always being there for me and never putting up with anyone’s bullshit. You’re the V to my Jimin, forever and always.

Fran, thank you for reading my audition column and still hiring me despite how shitty it was (because let’s be honest, it was terrible). You saw potential in me during a time where I didn’t believe in myself or my abilities, and for that I’ll always be grateful.

To the rest of my wonderful opinion family: Abby, Emily, Julia and Izzy, thank you for making it worth coming into the basement every day. I wouldn’t have wanted to annoy the UT administration with any other group of people.

Furthermore, thank you to every columnist I have ever had the privilege to work with at my time in the opinion department. I will forever be in awe of your passion, your endurance and your determination to change the systemic flaws of this University. Your voices have struck a part of me, and they’re something I’ll never forget.

I also want to thank the people who, despite not being here since the beginning, might as well have been with the way they impacted my time at the Texan.

Myah and Jenny, you were here through it all this semester. Myah, no one has done this job like you have. You’ve made the newsroom a better place, and I’m inspired by your leadership. Jenny, thank you for sharing this position with me. There is no way I would have been able to get through this year (or all the flipbook uploads) without you by my side.

Rachael, the tragedy of the century is that we only got one semester to work together. Thank you for clicking with me on every level imaginable. We must have known each other in another life.

And to the ones who got me through every production night of the semester — Phoebe, Megan, Jack, Nathan, Matthew, Blaine (and yes, even you, Peter) — how does one last round of pingpong sound?

I joined the Texan during the fall semester of my sophomore year. Next week, I will have officially graduated from the University of Texas. My college experience is synonymous with my time at this paper. As I give this last piece of myself to the Texan, I hope I’ve had just as much of an impact on this paper as it has had on me.