Games to watch in Week 11 of college football season

Hannah Williford, Sports Reporter

Editor’s Note: This article first appeared as part of the November 12 Double Coverage flipbook.

No. 4 Oklahoma at No. 18 Baylor

Nov. 13, 11 a.m. CT, FOX

Despite being undefeated, the College Football Playoff committee feels as if Oklahoma still has something to prove, ranking the Sooners eighth in its first release in Week 10. Perhaps the committee’s reasoning lies in the fact that none of Oklahoma’s wins have occurred against currently ranked teams. Come Saturday, the Sooners will have a chance to showcase against Baylor. The Bears fell to TCU last week, but won out against both Iowa State and BYU. A win for the Bears would mean mass confusion in the Big 12, but a victory for Oklahoma could be the proof the Sooners need to slide into playoff contention.

No. 9 Michigan at No. 23 Penn State

Nov. 13, 11 a.m. CT, ABC

Penn State hit a rough patch with a three-game losing streak in October, but the tides may have turned last weekend against Maryland with a 31-14 victory. The Nittany Lions pose an offensive threat with the help of wide receiver Jahan Dotson, who set a program record for receiving yards in a game with 242 yards. But Michigan has held teams to an average of 16 points per game, and outside of a narrow loss to Michigan State, have put forward a team that is still searching for a spot in the playoffs come December.

No. 11 Texas A&M at No. 12 Ole Miss

Nov. 13, 6 p.m. CT, ESPN

Something has been clicking in Aggieland. After two losses in a row to Arkansas and Mississippi State, Texas A&M has become a force. Last week in what was expected to be a tight game, the Aggies stomped out the War Eagles with a 20-3 victory. In their last three games, the Texas A&M Aggies have comfortably scored double the points of their opponents. However, the Rebels are averaging over 37 points per game under the leadership of head coach Lane Kiffin this season. College Gameday in the Grove on Saturday morning is sure to bring excitement.

Purdue at No. 6 Ohio State

Nov. 13, 2:30 p.m. CT, ABC

For Ohio State, November means back-to-back games against Michigan and Michigan State, the main competition for the Big 10. But Ohio State’s gambit may start sooner than anticipated. The Boilermakers have spent their season wrecking the records of playoff hopefuls. In October, Purdue put down then-No. 2 ranked Iowa State 24-7. A second beatdown of undefeated Michigan State last weekend 40-29 proves the Boilermakers can’t be taken lightly. Since Ohio State’s early upset, the Buckeyes have built themselves back up to the top-ranked team in the Big 10, with their smallest margin of victory at nine points.

No. 2 Cincinnati at South Florida

Nov. 12, 5 p.m. CT, ESPN2

In Week 11 Cincinnati jumped over Alabama to the No. 2 spot in the nation. Representing the American Athletic Conference, Cincinnati is campaigning hard for a playoff spot outside of a Power 5 conference. The Bearcats average almost 40 points per game and only allow 14 points against opposing offenses, but the question remains if the effort will be enough to persuade the committee to include Cincinnati in the conversation with traditional powers.