Games to watch in Week 13 of college football season

Hannah Williford, Sports Reporter

Editor’s Note: This article first appeared as part of the November 23 Double Coverage flipbook.

No. 12 Ole Miss at No. 25 Mississippi State

Nov. 25, 6:30 p.m. CT, ESPN

The presentation of the Golden Egg Trophy alone should be enough to tune into the Egg Bowl on Thanksgiving Day. But in case it isn’t, impressive season performances by both Mississippi teams should do the trick. Ole Miss took out No. 11 Texas A&M in early November and No. 18 Auburn before that, making for a nine-win season. But the Rebels will have to win away from home in Starkville to cap off the regular season. Mississippi State’s season has been looking up in recent weeks after a close loss to Arkansas, including a solid victory over Auburn.

No. 4 Ohio State at No. 6 Michigan

Nov. 27, 11 a.m. CT, FOX

If there was a doubt of Ohio State’s ability this year, the Buckeyes squashed it last weekend in their 56-7 victory against No. 7 Michigan State. Now, Ohio State faces the last challenge in its Big Ten gauntlet against Michigan. Ohio State quarterback C.J. Stroud, a likely Heisman candidate, completed 32 passes against Michigan State. Michigan also came out strong last week against Maryland, making for a promising matchup. The Wolverines have only lost one game this season, keeping the team in the running for the College Football Playoffs with a win over Ohio State.

No. 13 Oklahoma at No. 9 Oklahoma State

Nov. 27, 6:30 p.m. CT, ABC

Oklahoma State has worked tirelessly for respect this season, grinding through Big 12 games with just one loss on the season despite a series of close games. The Cowboys have kept their opponents to an average of 16.4 points per game, but their defense will be put to the test by a productive Oklahoma offense that  averages almost 39 points per game and seven yards per play. Likely Oklahoma’s biggest challenge in the Big 12, the Bedlam rivalry will have the chance to live up to its name.

No. 2 Alabama at Auburn

Nov. 27, 2:30 p.m. CT, CBS

While Alabama has managed to stay alive since its loss to Texas A&M, it has not been without close calls. And when it comes to the Iron Bowl, no victory is guaranteed. The game is the home of the legendary kick-six and a 2010 comeback by current NFL quarterback Cam Newton that led the Tigers to a national championship. Most recently, Auburn knocked off the Crimson Tide in 2017, ending their College Football Playoff hopes with a fourth-quarter touchdown. The Tigers have lost four conference games this season, but if anyone can inspire them for a win, it’s Alabama.

Oregon State at No. 3 Oregon

Nov. 27, 2:30 p.m. CT, ESPN

In recent years, the Oregon-Oregon State rivalry has been one of the weakest matchups. The Ducks have won 11 of the last 13 matchups, but last year, the Beavers finally pulled off the upset. This season, Oregon State has lost four games, but statistically, the teams match up well. Both average within one point of 35 points per game, and the Beavers only allow four more points on defense than the Ducks. The teams also have almost identical passing and rushing yards on the season. Without a doubt, Oregon will come into next week with hopes of making it back to the College Football Playoff, and Oregon State will remember last year’s victory.