Rory Ross talks acting in ‘The Book of Boba Fett,’ role in upcoming ‘Obi-Wan Kenobi’ 

Noah Levine, Life & Arts Film Columnist

Editor’s note: This article first appeared in the Jan. 25, 2022 flipbook.

“The Book of Boba Fett,” the latest Disney+ series entry, seeks to expand the iconic world of “Star Wars,” seeing the return of infamous bounty hunter Boba Fett (Temuera Morrison). Following his rise to power after his supposed demise in “Star Wars: Episode VI – Return of the Jedi,” Fett encounters several denizens of the “Star Wars” universe, including the Tusken Raiders. Rory Ross, an up-and-coming actor and die-hard fan of the franchise, got his chance to enter his favorite universe when cast as a Raider for the show’s first episodes. The Texan spoke with Ross about his journey into a galaxy far, far away.

The Daily Texan: Being a huge fan of the series, how did you pull off joining the world of “Star Wars?” 

Rory Ross: It was a bit of luck, a bit of manifestation. When I was 6 years old, I went through a really traumatic event where I had a rare fungus which was causing my scalp to quite literally fall off. I was in the hospital, and my mom brought “Star Wars: Episode IV – A New Hope.” That was the first I’d ever seen of “Star Wars,” (and my) first immersion with that amazing storyline. (Luke’s) journey, how he went from zero to hero, it was like Hercules in a sense. He still made mistakes along the way, but it was showing me a source of inspiration and hope that I really needed at that time. When I left the hospital, I said, “I don’t know what I’m doing with my life, but whatever it is, I want to bring hope and inspiration to people just like Luke did for me.”

DT: How much of your scene work on the show was shot on location vs. using green screen technology? 

RR: (My scenes) didn’t use (green screen technology). The sand is real, (and) the sand gets everywhere. … Going on set, there is one sun, the one we’re used to, but when you’re immersed in everything, it puts you inside that world. When you look up, it looks like you see the twin suns (of Tatooine). It was something so cool, having my “Star Wars” story and how much it means to me, it made me pretty emotional that first day, like, “I’m here. This is crazy.”

DT: What is the set atmosphere like for such a highly anticipated production?

RR: The paparazzi are pretty frequently all over the place, so we have security cloaks to try to keep things hidden. If you are going to (the food station on set) or something, you make sure that you are in (plain) clothes in case someone happens to see you. It’s so cool, everyone on set has something to do with “Star Wars,” whether as a kid or as an adult.

DT: What can you say about your role in the upcoming “Obi-Wan Kenobi” Disney+ series?

RR: I can say that I’m a stormtrooper. Other than that, I don’t want to say too much because there’s not much out. We’re waiting for the trailer just like everybody else. It’s so cool as a fan to get excited about this connective tissue that’s happening between the prequels and what we see in “New Hope.” 

What are your overall aspirations as an actor?

RR: It would be (being a Jedi on “Star Wars”). It would be a full circle. Anything I’ve done, it’s sort of why I want to be an actor. I want to bring hope and inspiration to people like Luke did for me. If you have your “why,” you understand why you’re doing it, it gives you the endurance that you need to continue on no matter what that is.