Longhorns’ 4-game winning streak ends at hands of No. 18 Oklahoma

Ethan Ferguson, Sports Reporter

The Texas women’s basketball team lost its four-game win streak, suffering a 65-63 defeat against No. 18 Oklahoma on Saturday at the Lloyd Noble Center in Norman, Oklahoma.

On her birthday, freshman Rori Harmon led the Longhorns against their rival Sooners, achieving a double-double with 15 points and 11 rebounds. In addition, Harmon earned three assists.

The Longhorns were unable to limit chances for Oklahoma defensively, resulting in three Sooners scoring in double digits. Senior Madi Williams notched 23 points with nine rebounds, senior Taylor Robertson scored 17 points with 10 rebounds, and freshman Kelbie Washington scored 10 points with two rebounds and assists.

Going into the game against Oklahoma, the Longhorns were 6–1 on the road this season. With its second road loss, Texas now sits at 15–4.

Oklahoma was ranked second in the country in scoring offense at 87 points per game. Although the Sooners weren’t able to break that threshold against the Longhorns, they still controlled the game offensively.

The Longhorns trailed in both the first and second half against the Sooners, regaining the lead at the end of the third quarter with a 3-point buzzer beater from Harmon. Limiting the Sooners offensively continued to be a problem in the third as the Longhorns were outscored by five in the period. 

Head coach Vic Schaefer said on Jan. 19 that with a new team and new program, he’s trying to reshape, remold and rebuild the team. “I’m proud of the kids that we’ve got here. They’re playing their hearts out,” Schaefer said. “Right now, we’re in a good place.”

Junior Aliyah Matharu also had a good game with 10 points and two rebounds. Freshman Aaliyah Moore also performed well against the Sooners, earning the team 10 points and three rebounds.  

“Not many freshmen get the opportunities that I’ve been able to have,” Moore also said on Jan. 19. “I’m just taking ahold of it and taking it day by day.” 

Following the loss, the Longhorns look to get back on track against No. 11 Baylor in Waco on Feb. 4.