Texas women’s swim and dive continues domination on road in North Carolina

Nick Hargroue, Sports Reporter

Texas women’s swim and dive won 19 of 29 events in back-to-back dual swim meets in North Carolina, breaking even more records this weekend. The Longhorn sophomores were the story of the meets, as Anna Elendt and Olivia Bray put on an impressive display in both meets on Friday and Saturday.

No. 2 Texas kicked off the weekend on Friday traveling to the No. 5 NC State Wolfpack in Raleigh, N.C. The Longhorns emerged with a 156.5-143.5 victory, setting multiple records in the process.

In the swimming events, Elendt swept the breaststroke events, setting two pool records in the 100 with a 59.25 and the 200 with a 2.08.13. Meanwhile, fellow sophomores Kelly Pash and Bray combined for three event wins. Pash won the 100 with a time of 49.34 and the 200 yard free with a 1:46.68, while Bray won the 100 yard fly with a 52.12, a pool record.

Texas was even more impressive in the springboard events, landing the top five spots in the one meter event and the top four spots in the three meter event. Freshman Hailey Hernandez set a pool record with her 344.95 point performance in the one meter board, while sophomore Bridget O’Neil set a venue record with her 395.95 point performance on the three meter board.

On Saturday morning, the Longhorns made the short trip to Chapel Hill, N.C and took on the North Carolina Tarheels, recording an emphatic 141-102 victory.

Once again, it was Elendt and Bray that set the Longhorns apart. Bray set a pool record in the 100 fly with a 51.33, while Elendt set a pool record in the 100 breaststroke with a 58.08. Elendt improved by over one second from her Friday time and beat the field by over three seconds in an outstanding individual performance.

While the springboard events weren’t as one-sided as Friday’s outing against NC State, Texas made up ground with its overall dominance in the swimming events.

Freshman Erica Sullivan contributed to the winning effort, with her second consecutive victory in the 1,000 free. Senior Julia Cook won the 100 back with a 52.65 and combined with Elendt, Bray and junior Bridget Semenuk to win the 200-yard medley at 1:35.68 in the opening competition. In addition, Sophomore Grace Cooper won the 100 free with junior teammate Kyla Leibel finishing in third.

Texas won 9 of 13 total events against the Tar Heels, continuing its recent stretch of excellence and improving to 4-1 in dual meets on the season. The Longhorns’ next meet is on Feb. 4, where they will take on the SMU Mustangs in Dallas.