Elendt sets Longhorn record as No. 2 Texas women’s swim and dive dominates against Rice

Crystian Scott-Ramirez, Sports Reporter

The No. 2 Texas women’s swimming and diving team beat the Rice Owls in impressive fashion as the Longhorns managed to secure a victory in all but two of Saturday’s 15 events at the Lee and Joe Jamail Texas Swimming Center.

The final score would see Texas ahead 156-103 as the regular season officially comes to a close with the Sterkel Classic.

Texas started out strong in the opening 200 medley relay as the A-team, led by senior Julia Cook, finished in 1:34.86 compared to the Owls’ A-team that placed third with a time of 1:41.58.

The 1650 free competition saw freshman Erica Sullivan finish at 15:53.80. That landed her fifth-best in the country and placed her at third-fastest in school history.

While today was supposed to be all about the seniors, sophomore Anna Elendt’s performance was a crucial part of Texas’ victory as she posted a time of 2:04:69 in the 200 breaststroke, placing her at the top of the record books in the event for Texas women.

The Longhorns continued to impress in later events when senior Evie Pfeifer gained control early in the 400 IM, putting up a 57.0 flat on the opening 100. She then finished with a season-best 4:08.25, putting her at 16th in the nation.

Senior Julia Cook earned the top spot in the 100 free with a 48.86 finish and in the subsequent 100 backstroke, clocking in at 51.91 and moving up to 18th in the country overall.

Junior Kelly Pash took first place in both the 200 backstroke and 50 free, with times of 1:54.97 and 22.51 respectively.

Texas ended its regular season with a 5–1 record in dual meets and a dominant display as the Longhorns put on a near flawless performance on senior day. Next up is the Big 12 championships in Morgantown, West Virginia, which begin on Feb. 23.