A look at Texas men’s basketball’s incoming class

Christina Huang, Sports Reporter

Editor’s Note: This article first appeared in the Feb. 21, 2022 in the flipbook.

With just four games left in the regular season, three high school players have committed to Texas men’s basketball for the 2022-23 season. The incoming class will be vital to the Longhorns’ success next season since only three current players on the roster are underclassmen. Back in November, Texas head coach Chris Beard spoke to the media about two of his signees, Dillon Mitchell and Arterio Morris.

“Both will have a chance to make immediate impacts for a lot of reasons,” Beard said. “We’re getting two talented guys that have been coached, and that’s always what we’re looking for in recruiting.”

Dillon Mitchell

Forward Dillon Mitchell has been having a monster senior season at Montverde Academy in Florida. The 6-foot-7-inch athlete was recently selected to compete in the McDonald’s All-American Boys Game. Previous Longhorn All-American selections include Andrew Jones, Jarrett Allen and Kevin Durant.

Mitchell’s stock has been improving within the last few weeks, with On3 Sports boosting his ranking from No. 20 to No. 2. Mitchell has been touted as a strong defender who will fit into Beard’s established elite defense. “Defense is perhaps his best attribute,” 247Sports’ Jerry Meyer said. “(It’s) tough to find a player he can’t guard.” Mitchell is the No. 1 overall forward and No. 7 player in the nation, according to On3 Consensus.

Arterio Morris 

Point guard Arterio Morris was also selected as a McDonald’s All-American earlier this month. Morris and Mitchell’s dual-selection is just the fifth time in Texas history where at least two signees were named as All-Americans in the same year. Morris, a Dallas product, received multiple offers from the Big 12. Some of his most notable potential landing spots included Baylor and Texas Tech, but Texas assistant coach Jerrance Howard convinced Morris to come to Austin.

Morris’ most recent stats have him averaging 18.3 points and 6.6 assists prior to entering district play. The Kimball player’s presence in Austin could have a major impact on the Longhorns’ offense. Right now, Texas is sixth in the Big 12 for points per game. 

Rowan Brumbaugh 

Northfield Mount Hermon’s Rowan Brumbaugh will also have a chance to make an offensive impact at the Forty Acres next fall. Brumbaugh recently put up 17 points, four assists and four steals in Mount Hermon’s win over New Hampton on Feb. 19. The New Englander will also be reunited with his high school teammate, Cole Bott, when he arrives in Austin. The Massachusetts product originally committed to Northwestern back in August 2021, but decommitted from the school in December. Just days later, Brumbaugh announced his new commitment to Texas on Dec. 30.

The point guard held offers from currently ranked teams such as Kansas, Wisconsin and Providence. He is currently the No. 20 point guard in his class, according to 247Sports.