Longhorn men, women defend Big 12 crowns with performance at Big 12 Indoor Championships

Katie Borchetta, Sports Reporter

Texas track and field showed out at the Big 12 Indoor Championships in Ames, Iowa this weekend, with the women earning their fifth-straight Big 12 championship and the men their second.

On Friday and Saturday combined, Texas won 10 different events between the men and women with many other Longhorns making their way into the top three. Sophomore Kristine Blazevica, the Texas program record holder in the pentathlon, showed great success by coming in first overall in the women’s pentathlon, winning first in long jump and the 800 meter. 

The women’s 400 meter featured a clean sweep by the Longhorns both in the preliminary first round and final times. The final podium of senior Kennedy Simon on top, senior Stacey Ann Williams in second and sophomore Rhasidat Adeleke in third all finished with times less than a second apart. 

The women’s 200m also had a clean sweep with senior Julien Alfred, senior Kynnedy Flannel, sophomore Kevona Davis coming in first, second, and third. 

Junior Crayton Carrozza and sophomore Yusuf Bizimana, who both currently have some of the fastest 800 meter times in Texas history, also took the top two spots in the 800 meter. Carrozza finished with a time of 1:47.22 and Bizimana followed with a time of 1:47.78.

Other Longhorns that secured Big 12 championships include junior Brooke Jaworski in the women’s 800 meter, sophomore Davicia Patterson and senior Jonathan Jones in the 600 yard sprints and graduate student Tripp Piperi in the shot put — his seventh Big 12 title.

Senior Philip Frank took first in the 60 meter event included in the men’s heptathlon on Friday — his strongest individual event finish — and finished fifth in the event overall.

The final event of the championships on Saturday saw Texas’ men’s 4×400 team take home the Big 12 title. The quartet of Jones, graduate student Jon Maas, junior Brian Herro and senior Willington Wright finished with a time of 3:04.19 to edge out Baylor by less than a second.

Texas looks to carry another successful conference run onto the national scene as the NCAA Indoor Championships are set to begin in Birmingham, Alabama on March 11. The Longhorns’ most recent indoor national championship came on the women’s side in 2006. The men have never won an indoor national title.