Men’s, women’s track and field find success at 94th Clyde Littlefield Texas Relays

Katie Borchetta, Sports Reporter

Men’s and women’s track and field did not disappoint Texas fans in an overarching success during the 94th Clyde Littlefield Texas Relays.

Stretching from Wednesday to Saturday, the Texas Relays, now fully back after being canceled in 2020 and only being eligible for collegiate athletes in 2021 due to capacity rules, featured Texas high school and national collegiate track teams at the University.

The Longhorns, with home advantage, showed out starting on the first day when senior Philip Frank finished third in the men’s 100-meter dash with a new personal best of 11.01 seconds. Freshman Sam Hurley also stepped onto the track to run the 100 for the first time in his collegiate career and finished with a time of 11.34 seconds.

Junior Leo Neugebauer finished third in men’s long jump with a jump measuring 7.26 meters, with Frank and Hurley following with jumps of 6.79 and 6.51, respectively.

Neugebauer placed first in three events: the 400-meter dash with a time of 48.21 seconds, shot put by throwing a distance of 15.96 meters and discus throw with a distance of 50.88 meters. Neugebauer won first overall in the men’s decathlon with a score of 8,131 points.

On Saturday, Texas men won the 4×200 relay with runners sophomore Daniel Garland, junior Marcellus Moore, graduate student Micaiah Harris and senior Willington Wright, and made the second-fastest time in Texas history: 1:20.80.

Moore, Wright, junior Brian Herron and senior Jonathan Jones also finished first in the men’s 1,600-meter sprint medley after running a time of 3:14.64.

In the women’s track events, senior Julien Alfred, sophomore Rhasidat Adeleke, sophomore Kevona Davis and senior Stacey Ann Williams broke the Texas 4×200 relay record with a time of 1:29.03 seconds, while senior Kennedy Simon, Adeleke, Alfred and Williams broke the 4×400 relay record, running in 3:22.94 seconds. This time is also the second-fastest time in NCAA history.

Alfred, Davis, Adeleke and senior Kynnedy Flannel also won first in the 4×100 relay after finishing in 42.83 seconds.

Twin-sister seniors Monica and Isabel Hebner placed first and second, respectively, in the 10,000-meter run with Monica Hebner finishing in 34:25.28 and Isabel Hebner finishing two seconds later with a time of 34:27.55.

After its NCAA wins, Texas will take on Texas A&M in the Texas A&M Dual Meet this Saturday in good standing after the Texas Relays weekend.