No. 4 Texas handles Kansas State in 4-0 clean sweep

Angelina Attaway, Sports Reporter

No. 4 Texas earned a 4-0 sweep against No. 52 Kansas State Sunday at the Texas Tennis Center. 

After sweeping No. 25 Kansas 7-0 last Friday at the Texas Tennis Center, the Longhorns came into this Sunday’s match looking to extend their winning streak. The win cemented the Longhorns with a 7–1 record in Big 12 play and 16–4 overall record this year. 

The first serve of doubles play commenced at 12 p.m. The No. 32 sophomore tandem of Kylie Collins and Charlotte Chavatipon quickly delivered a 6-0 loss to Kansas State’s Dinara Alloyarova and Manami Ukita with notable strides in their net play, seen in a series of impressive volleys and relentless rallies that brought them crucial key points. 

Shortly after, the Texas freshmen duo of Sabina Zeynalova and Vivian Ovroosky took on Anna Turco and Ioana Gheorgita at the net, registering a 6-1 win with dominating serves and striking attacks from the baseline. The No. 11 duo of sophomore Peyton Stearns and freshman Allura Zamarripa were trailing behind opponents Karine-Marion Job and Maria Linares, but their match ended prematurely as Texas won the doubles point. The team went into singles play up 1-0 against Kansas State. 

The Longhorns maintained consistent leads across the courts, where all six of the Texas singles players clinched the first set. 

Stearns brought the Longhorns their first win of the afternoon in singles, where she handily defeated Maria Linares 6-1, 6-2. This sophomore has shown her leadership on the team, constantly tipping the national scale in both singles and doubles play. Stearns was recently awarded Big 12 Player of the Week for two consecutive weeks after a collective 4-0 dual match play against West Virginia, Iowa State, Oklahoma State and Oklahoma. 

Chavatipon followed shortly after on Court 4, shutting down her adversary Ioana Gheorgita 6-2, 6-1. Chavatipon’s skilled forehand strikes from the baseline allowed her to control the match at her own pace, bringing Texas to a 3-0 lead against Kansas State. 

Although No. 38 Collins initially trailed behind Karine-Marion Job, her technique never faltered, as she met her opponent with long winded rallies that ultimately gave her success in the end with a 6-4, 6-3 win. Her unwavering performance brought Texas up 4-0, securing the win against Kansas State.

Although the remaining courts ceased singles play after the match was decided, outstanding performances by Texas were evident throughout. No. 68 Sabina Zeynalova, Vivian Ovrootsky and Allura Zamarripa on Courts 3, 5 and 6 were not far from defeating their respective opponents as each held a solid lead in their second sets. After the final whistle blew, the Texas women’s tennis team held their heads high and embraced one another as they walked off the courts. 

Head coach Howard Joffe said after the match that he believes the team’s most important priority in the coming weeks is that “the girls are able to get some rest and prepare themselves,” with the Big 12 Championship Tournament just around the corner on April 22-24.

After a convincing victory, Texas looks to put on a similar performance on Saturday against Baylor.