No. 6 Texas golf finishes third in Big 12 Championship tournament

Lindsey Plotkin, Sports Reporter

Having won their last two golf tournaments, the No. 6 Texas men hoped to carry that momentum into this week’s Big 12 Championship tournament. After three days of play, the Longhorns failed to extend their streak and win the conference title, but still brought home a podium third-place finish.

The tournament, held at Whispering Pines Golf Club in Trinity, Texas, featured the conference’s best, including three other top 10 teams in No.1 Oklahoma, No. 2 Oklahoma State and No. 5 Texas Tech. 

When the first day of play was suspended for rain, Texas was tied for second place with West Virginia and sat three strokes behind No. 5 Texas Tech. By the time the rain started coming down, some Longhorns had finished as many as seven holes, but others just four. 

Round one resumed Tuesday morning at the par-72 course with a total length of 7,434 yards. Due to the rain, the tournament was shortened to a 54-hole, three round tournament. 

Texas moved into first place, just ahead of No.1 Oklahoma, finishing round one with a score of 281 to Oklahoma’s 282. Senior Pierceson Coody led the Longhorns in the opening round, finishing with a score of 69 for third place individually. 

Senior Cole Hammer led Texas in the second round with a score of 70 that featured four birdies in a row starting on the fifth hole. Hammer’s play pushed him into a tie for second place with Oklahoma State’s Aman Gupta and Oklahoma’s Chris Gotterup. 

Junior Mason Nome recorded a 70 in round two to move into a tie for fifth place with fellow Longhorn Coody, who scored a 73 to drop into fifth place. Senior Parker Coody moved into a tie for ninth place with a score of 73 to bring four of the five Longhorns into the top 10. 

Texas recorded a total score of 286 for a total of 567 to stay ahead of Oklahoma by one stroke heading into the third and final day of competition. 

On Wednesday, Hammer continued his strong play, recording a score of 71 for a total score of 211. Hammer finished the tournament tied for third place. In the 2021 tournament, Hammer was the individual winner.

Nome had the next best performance for the Longhorns, finishing tied for sixth with a total score of 213. Parker Coody finished tied for ninth with a score of 214, and Pierceson Coody finished tied for 11th with a score of 215. 

Despite strong individual finishes, 15 total bogeys pushed Texas into third place. Oklahoma pulled ahead, beating Texas out with a final score of 850. Oklahoma State recorded a score of 852 to take home second. 

Texas’ third-place finish marks its second in as many years at the Big 12 Championships. Despite failing to bring home the conference crown, the Longhorns will look to get back on top at the NCAA Regional Tournament beginning May 16.