9 Asian-owned businesses in Austin to support

Angela Lim, Life & Arts Reporter

According to a 2021 survey published by the Greater Austin Asian Chamber of Commerce in partnership with UT students, 89% of Asian-owned businesses in Austin experienced a loss of revenue during the pandemic.

To kick off Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month, The Daily Texan compiled a list of Asian-owned local businesses that offer a range of crafts and food.

Arts and Crafts

Kathy Phantastic

Sharing her creative projects, UT alum Kathy Phan uses watercolors to paint designs for stickers, illustrations and stationery. Phan said she expresses her identities through her Asian food and Texas-themed prints and enjoys creating custom pet portraits.

The Paper + Craft Pantry

1023 Springdale Road 6A

The Paper + Craft Pantry offers a selection of stationery, office and art supplies and monthly creative workshops for Austinites. Beyond serving their community’s artistic needs, the business also donates a portion of their collections’ sales to nonprofit organizations such as Black Mamas ATX and the Make-A-Wish Foundation.

Year 901

Benh Pham spends late nights crafting all her jewelry by hand, a hobby she’s enjoyed since 2011. From her gold hoops and studs to jade necklaces, Pham incorporates locally sourced and recycled materials into her designs.

Dessert Pop-Ups

Bom Bakeshop

Anthony Kim and UT alum Teresa Kwon introduced their chewy, vibrant mochi doughnuts to Austin’s food scene at the height of the pandemic. The husband and wife duo aims to spread joy with their gluten-free baked goods, bringing a feeling of “bom (봄)” — the Korean word for spring.

Cookie Wookie Kitchen

The family-operated business infuses sweet Asian flavors into their cookies. Exploring colorful flavors from Hong Kong milk tea to matcha pistachio, their recipes elicit childhood nostalgia. Cookie Wookie Kitchen makes all their treats with aged cookie dough and local Texan ingredients.

Sinta

The pop-up bakery’s name comes from a Tagalog word that means “beloved.” Outside of her software engineering job, Gaby Cantos prepares Filipino-inspired baked goods and drinks, such as ube flan cupcakes and watermelon lychee agua fresca.

Restaurants

Koriente

621 E 7th St

Koriente specializes in MSG-free Pan-Asian cuisine with minimized salt and oil content. Aside from savory options like their teriyaki chicken, the restaurant provides numerous vegan-friendly dishes, such as their shiitake tofu and vegetarian curry.

Thai Fresh

909 W Mary St

Jam Sanitchat and Bruce Barnes made Thai Fresh a one-stop location for authentic Thai food, baked goods, vegan ice cream and groceries. The business sources their ingredients from local farmers and vendors. Sanitchat, who graduated from UT, teaches cooking classes as well.

Zaviya Grill

1212 W Parmer Ln Unit A

Zaviya Grill, headed by chefs Abduattar Ali and Kashif Taj, shares a contemporary spin on Indian and Pakistani cuisine. It’s name stems from “zaviya,” an Urdu word that signifies a unique perspective. The restaurant also provides catering services for events and special occasions.