Texas rowing sweeps at home, looks forward to NCAA championship

Tyler Winter, Sports Reporter

Texas rowing swept all five regattas at the Longhorn Invite on April 30 to round out the regular season. 

The team had its NCAA boats, the first and second boats of eight and the first boat of four, finish by large margins. The second boat of four pulled from behind to barely snag the victory, while the third boat of eight finished comfortably. Coming out of a good week, and only losing one race all year, the team is heading into the Big 12 Championships on a high note.

For the team attempting back-to-back NCAA championships, fast days on the water are what keep them motivated.  

“Having fun is going really, really fast,” sophomore Carly Legenzowski said.

In order to attain the fastest speed and become most ready for the Big 12 Championship, as well as the NCAA Championship, head coach Dave O’Neill said he is preparing by trying out every combination. 

“(We) test everything, make sure we have the right people in the right boats, make sure we have the right people in the right seats,” O’Neill said. “We can switch things around to try and make the boat go faster.” 

With the two championship regattas coming up, senior Lisa Gutfleisch is finishing out her second season at Texas, where she says she’s been able to settle into her role. 

“Seeing everyone work, it’s a great environment and great atmosphere to be around,” Gutfleisch said.

Legenzowski, the current first four coxswain, said she plans to finish out her preparation by growing her relationship with her boat and understanding the motivation that works for them. 

“We’re just gonna keep working hard, get nice, clean, sharp rowing and try to go as fast as we can every single day,” Legenzowski said.

Legenzowski personally prepares to lead her boat by putting on a very specific playlist: Kanye West’s “Ultralight Beam,” “Famous” and “Ghost Town,” followed by Bazzi’s “Starand Taylor Swift’s “Don’t Blame Me.” 

While the team puts on their finishing touches, O’Neill feels confident in the Longhorns.

“There’s little things we can do to get better, but I’m pretty happy with where we’re at right now,” O’Neill said.