‘Obi-Wan Kenobi’ stuns prequel fans with respect to ‘Star Wars’ source material

Ryan Ranc, Life & Arts Reporter

“Obi-Wan Kenobi,” released May 27, follows Jedi master Obi-Wan Kenobi’s turn toward isolation and nihilism in the aftermath of Anakin Skywalker’s fall to the dark side. While not yet a complete season, the first three episodes are available to watch on Disney+, and the rest will release every Wednesday until the season wraps with episode six.

Ewan McGregor returns as the titular Obi-Wan Kenobi, looking exactly like he did in the prequels 17 years ago. His hair and beard can only be described as making “Star Wars” fans look on in awe. Jokes aside, seeing McGregor once again play Kenobi will stun viewers who grew up watching the prequels. He remains as witty as ever, showcasing emotion that feels perfectly aligned with his character arc from “Revenge of the Sith.”

This show, like most Disney “Star Wars” media, leans in on nostalgia surrounding the earlier movies that have been dubbed classics. However, in this instance, nostalgic details work well with the story, never feeling like the show solely exists for the purpose of making fans say, “Hey look, it’s that thing from the originals!” Even those with no prior knowledge of the prequels can feel the warm embrace from the love and care injected into the story by the showrunners.

“Obi-Wan Kenobi” picks up 10 years after the events of “Revenge of the Sith.” That being said, though audiences may feel wary of continuity errors with the original narrative, “Obi-Wan Kenobi” clearly proves showrunners meticulously crafted the story to feel like a smooth transition into the period between “Revenge of the Sith” and “A New Hope,” thanks to respect for the original source material. The show ensures the seamless return of many characters’ storylines, making audiences feel as if no time passed from the release of the prequel trilogy.

The tone of “Obi-Wan Kenobi” is considerably dark for a “Star Wars” show. Audiences witness Kenobi struggling with inner demons, and the Jedi-hunting villains themselves are incredibly ruthless. Even the show’s color palette feels sad and spooky, utilizing darker lighting and beige and gray tones. All of these details combine to create a sense of fear, depravity and hopelessness. When considering the brooding personality of post-Order 66 Kenobi, the dark ambience makes sense.

“Obi-Wan Kenobi” has the potential to be the best “Star Wars” show to be released. The creators delicately crafted storylines, tying together the story of the Skywalker Saga. Whether diehard Star Wars fans or new viewers of the franchise, “Obi-Wan Kenobi” brings something enjoyable for all audiences. Only time will tell if the series continues to hold the same level of wonder.

4 Jedis in hiding out of 5