LGBTQ+ movies to watch this Pride Month

Reagan Richard, Life & Arts Reporter

As June comes to an end, what better way to round out Pride Month than a movie marathon? The Daily Texan has compiled a list of essential queer films to enjoy, complete with heart-swelling romances, campy extravaganzas and tear-jerkers sure to leave you sniffling for weeks, all coming together to celebrate the beauty and uniqueness of LGTBQ+ identity.

Paris is Burning (1990)

From the glorious outfits and balls to the heartfelt, sardonic reflections from the performers, Jennie Livingston’s 1990 documentary stands out as a foundational piece of queer cinema, providing a snapshot into the Black and Latinx drag scene in late 1980s New York and can be found on HBO Max. The drag queens’ precise, fast-paced vogueing, effortlessly petty humor and shimmering costumes keep eyes glued to the screen. Though the movie is celebratory and lavish, interviews with the performers sprinkled throughout the film often provide sobering insight. The drag queens in this movie are complicated and fiery, with such earnest love and passion for performance and competition. While “Paris is Burning” might break your heart, its electric energy is contagious.  

But I’m a Cheerleader (1999)

Drenched in powder pink and blue, Jamie Babbit’s first-time feature film makes for a campy romantic comedy with a twisted sense of humor, telling the story of a repressed cheerleader, Megan, whose parents send her to a conversion therapy camp. There, Megan can’t ignore her attraction to her rebellious roommate Graham, and the two embark on complementary journeys of self-acceptance. “But I’m a Cheerleader,” which can be rented on iTunes or Google Play, makes the ideology behind conversion therapy and forced adherence to rigid gender roles seem ridiculous, giving the light-hearted lesbian satire its rightfully earned cult classic status.

Desert Hearts (1985)

Donna Deitch’s hallmark film “Desert Hearts,” which can be streamed on HBO Max, portrays a sensual sapphic romance, replete with deep emotional confrontation and palpable sexual tension. Set in the dusty casino town of Reno, Nevada, in 1959, the film follows the story of a closeted English professor in the process of divorce and her budding romance with the vibrant younger woman living in the cottage behind her temporary home. The main characters’ love story is frustratingly prolonged, but the film delivers both heart-racing displays of passion and touching emotional realness.  “Desert Hearts” offers an immersive, dreamy experience and an absolute must-watch if you love an intimate lesbian romance. 

Moonlight (2016)

With a striking score complementing the color-saturated shots and consistently excellent performances of its cast, “Moonlight” is nothing short of masterful. Divided into three chapters coinciding with childhood, adolescence and early adulthood, “Moonlight” follows the coming-of-age story of a young Black man growing up in inner-city Miami. As the troubled main character grapples with his burgeoning sexuality, he navigates a harsh environment, surrounded by violence and substance abuse. “Moonlight,” which can be streamed on Hulu, quietly delivers worlds of emotion with its understated dialogue, resulting in an emotionally stirring, sad, empathetic and important story about sexual identity. 

Y tu mamá también (2001)

Alfonso Cuarón’s 2001 film “Y tu mamá también,” which can be rented on iTunes and Google Play, follows the story of two sex-crazed teenage boys and a mysterious woman from Spain who embark on a spontaneous road trip across Mexico together. The movie, while  incredibly sexy, maintains a mature and thoughtful approach to the complex emotional and political issues it often confronts. While the film is consistently funny, Cuarón expertly weaves in heart-wrenching moments several times throughout the movie. This film creates a vibrant sexual fluidity between its characters, teeming with thought-provoking themes of life, love and the fleeting nature of youth. Viewers will walk away from “Y tu mamá también” with a renewed outlook on the possibilities of filmmaking and of life.