‘Stranger Things 4 Volume 2’ exceeds expectations, solidifies ‘Stranger Things’ as a series to remember

Ryan Ranc, Life & Arts Reporter

This article is spoiler-free.

“Stranger Things” season four volume two is the culmination of years of rich sci-fi storytelling, heartfelt character arcs and extensive worldbuilding, all setting up a season with potential to solidify “Stranger Things” as the best television show ever made.

The two episodes combined not only have callbacks to prior jokes and events from this season, but from every season in the series, with shocking revelations being greater than the last while audiences uncover a masterful level of intentionality and interconnected pieces. Alongside epiphanies, the show brings back old jokes and references to ease the tension of these behemoth episodes — never feeling forced or lazily thrown in. It’s clear the Duffer Brothers care about this storytelling because they package every plot beat from current and past seasons together perfectly like a box of Eggos.

Style and professionalism ooze from every shot like blood from El’s nose. Compared to previous seasons, volume two feels like a movie in more ways than its runtime. The colors carry depth combining reds and blues to create visionary art pieces, the camera movements fit seamlessly into the CGI world that makes audiences feel like a third party living within the show and the variety of shots feel straight out of a movie. It’s clear where part of the $30 million an episode budget went.

The $30 million an episode budget evidently went to both practical effects and CGI. The most standout practical effects occur with the character Vecna, who really showcased the work of makeup artist Barrie Gower and his team. Additionally, the CGI in this season blends in with the fantastically crafted world created by the Duffer Brothers, with so many moments looking seamless and realistic to a point, creating an abundance of jaw-drop moments.

Speaking of awe-inspiring elements in volume two, the episodes display not only the most emotional scenes between characters, but the best acting of the series. There are countless moments of heartbreak, triumph, fear and endearment between each character. Even characters you wouldn’t expect to have heartfelt moments get time to shine, with every actor giving their best performance of the series. Most notably, Gaten Matarazzo as Dustin and Noah Schnapp as Will gave tear-jerking performances, and truly stood out among their peers.

“Stranger Things” season four volume two accomplished something rare — exceeding its already incredibly high expectations. The trailer makes it look extraordinary, but the two episodes somehow manage to go beyond the level of excitement of the already exhilarating trailer. Audiences will be left with the feeling that what they’re watching isn’t even real. It feels too good to be true, yet it is true. Volume two has the potential to be the best two episodes of television to grace screens worldwide.

“Stranger Things” season four volume two exceeds the successes of prior seasons and the professionalism of season four volume one, creating a truly epic close to the series. Audiences will laugh, cry, smile and scream in terror. The wait for season four was made worth it by volume two. Viewers will be left wondering “When can I binge season five?”

5 Surfer Boy pizzas out of 5