Listen to these six iconic movie soundtracks bursting with summer vibes

Reagan Richard, Life and Arts Reporter

Nothing can ease the soul on a lonesome summer night like a great movie with an even better soundtrack. For anyone in need of a good movie night, The Daily Texan compiled a list of movie soundtracks that will transport any viewer into a warm and blissful summer state-of-mind. Kick back, relax and perhaps even groove to the good vibes emanating from these sunny soundtracks.

“Palo Alto”

Gia Coppola’s indie directorial debut “Palo Alto” employs the experimental R&B sound of Blood Orange’s Devonté Hynes and original music by Robert Schwartzman, transporting the listener into the hazy headspace of its characters. Blood Orange tracks “Champagne Coast” and “You’re Not Good Enough” blend 1970s disco and synth pop with expressive lyrics that evoke the longing and angst of being a confused teenager on the cusp of life. This art-pop oriented soundtrack fully immerses listeners in the dreamlike atmosphere of Coppola’s “Palo Alto.”

“Call Me by Your Name”

Luca Guadagnino’s award-nominated romance “Call Me by Your Name” boasts a moving soundtrack that, while delicate and inspiring, occasionally crushes the soul in the most beautiful way possible. Set during a dreamy 1983 summer in the countryside of Crema, Italy, Sufjan Stevens’ songs will melt viewers’ defenses like the unrelenting Italian heat. The lilting string instrumentals and poignant, emotional songwriting on tracks like “Visions of Gideon” and “Mystery of Love” convey feelings of disturbance, transcendence or both at the same time.

“La La Land” 

The soundtrack to Damien Chazelle’s vibrant musical “La La Land” received multiple Academy Awards for its excellence, combining soulful jazz-fusion and funk, foot-tapping piano riffs and bittersweet song lyrics. The film’s nostalgia-inducing score makes for an essential component of the story, conveying themes of vulnerability with rousing pieces like “City Of Stars” and “Planetarium.” Score producer Justin Hurwitz’ composition communicates the wild emotional minefield that the main characters experience as they navigate new romance and the false allure of Hollywood. 

“O Brother, Where Art Thou?”

The Coen Brothers’ award-winning satirical odyssey “O Brother, Where Art Thou?” uses old-timey bluegrass and southern folk music to envelop listeners in the drudgery and thick, hot air of rural Mississippi. Produced by T Bone Burnett, the film’s music is a character in and of itself. Dan Tyminksi’s buttery vocals on “I Am a Man of Constant Sorrow” are soothing to the soul, while Ralph Stanley’s sincere performance of “O Death” will give you goosebumps. This country-blues soundtrack will temporarily teleport viewers into a different world.

“Shrek 2”

The soundtrack to Andrew Adamson, Conrad Vernon and Kelly Asbury’s era-defining animated masterpiece “Shrek 2” is undeniably wonderful. This soundtrack delivers a touch of 1980s synth pop with “Funkytown”, Fairy Godmother’s impassioned rendition of “Holding Out for a Hero” and Donkey’s beautifully performed version of “Livin’ La Vida Loca” all in the same movie. This movie’s award-winning music choices are fun, iconic and hard not to adore.

“Boogie Nights”

Paul Thomas Anderson’s cheesy but sparkling 1970s masterpiece “Boogie Nights” is an exquisitely executed film with a standout soundtrack, chock-full of epic 1970s and 1980s funk and disco tunes. Mainstream smash hits like “Jungle Fever,” “Got To Give It Up” and “Machine Gun” are expertly weaved into the film’s decisive moments, providing viewers with the emotional context to digest each scene. Film lovers and party people alike will love this zesty 1990s classic and its groovy musical additions.