Sister duo continues to harmonize through college transition

Ava Motes, Life and Arts Reporter

Editor’s note: This article first appeared in the July 19, 2022 flipbook.

After weeks spent writing lyrics to keep busy during quarantine, Lila Gonzalez invited her older sister Sofia into her creative world. Lila knocked on her bedroom door, guitar in hand, and asked to show her “Big Blue Sea,” a melancholy acoustic tune. As Lila began to sing, Sofia softly hummed harmonies. They practiced the song again and again, adding Sofia’s cello playing and technical mixing.

“That was the first time we ever played together,” Lila said. “It was a sweet intro to what we wanted to do.”

Two years later, as Sofia mulled over college decisions, she had Lila in mind. After playing together in 2020, the sisters formed their Austin-based singer-songwriter duo called “Lila and Sofia,” which took off right as Sofia finished high school. Hesitant to abandon their burgeoning success, Sofia said she made their creative relationship a priority when planning for her future.

“The main reason I came to UT is because I wanted to stay close (to my sister in Austin),” the music composition freshman said. “We were really getting momentum in the single week after we released (our first song). I didn’t want that to stop.” 

Sofia said the band is built upon family support, both from each other and from their parents, who first enrolled them in classical music lessons. 

“They didn’t have music lessons growing up, so they wanted to give (them) to us,” Lila said. “We really appreciate (the support) looking back because now we have something we want to do with our lives.” 

Sofia began playing cello at six years old and eventually pursued electric bass and technical music editing. Lila explored piano, guitar and songwriting. However, Lila said their artistic paths did not intersect until COVID-19 hit, when Lila invited Sofia to work on an original song. 

What started as a pandemic pastime soon blossomed into a professional endeavor. Lila and Sofia went from performing for tips on South Congress to partnering with an LA music engineer, Danny Reish, as well as Austin-based producer Walker Lukens, to record their first acoustic EP. They also started collaborating with other musicians, like brothers Deej and David Davis, who recently performed with them at the Far Out Lounge’s Tunnel Vision music festival. 

“When you have people who are that close, people you’re comfortable around, it just gels well.” David said.

While Lila brings lyricism to the band, Sofia completes their sound with intuitive harmonies. As performers, they amplify each other’s strengths and supplement weaknesses. However, the sisters said collaborating will be more difficult when Sofia leaves for UT and they are no longer living together.

“It’s kind of hard to believe (Sofia is moving out),” Lila said. “I don’t think it’s really hit me yet because we’ve always been around each other a lot. It’s going to be very strange.”

Sofia said UT provided her the opportunity to hone her technical skills while continuing her career with Lila. While the sisters embrace distinct identities and interests as individuals, Sofia said they learned to complement one another as musicians. In the midst of big life changes, they feel stronger together. 

“When you have someone by your side, it’s very helpful, especially because the music industry can be overwhelming,” Sofia said. “Emotional support is (important).”

Sofia said she will miss home, but her creative relationship with Lila has created an unbreakable bond.

“I’ve been with this person since she was in diapers,” Sofia said. “I know her, she knows me, and it’s a connection that is really special to have. When we’re together, two plus two equals ten. It’s not just work.”