Jeanne Barbara Janes

Jeanne Janes holding a small cat

Died June 25, 2022
Seguin
71

UT Class of 1974

Organizations: The Daily Texan, reporter and editor

Jeanne Barbara Janes, APR, a veteran public relations executive and former broadcaster, died Saturday, June 25, in Seguin, Texas, after a long illness. She was 71.

Her last two weeks were marked by an avalanche of birthday cards, flowers and gifts from friends, family, colleagues, former clients and mentees.

Born June 9, 1951, in Pennsylvania, she was named for her mother’s mother. Her family moved to Houston in the 1960s, and she graduated from Westbury High School in 1969.

After a brief stint at the University of Houston, she transferred to the University of Texas at Austin where she excelled as a reporter and editor on the staff of The Daily Texan, the nationally recognized student newspaper. In 1973, she received the coveted Outstanding Texan Worker award and interned at the Chicago Tribune. In her later years, she was a fervent supporter of The Friends of The Daily Texan, the nonprofit organization of alumni and other backers.

After graduation, she carried her journalism experience into the newsroom of KVUE-TV (Channel 24) in Austin. She later joined KSAT-TV (Channel 12) in San Antonio where she worked as a news producer and as a promotions manager.

Along with her dedication to excellence in journalism as a self-described “news junkie,” she was a supportive mentor and generous friend. She happily served as an “aunt” to the children of friends and coworkers. When State District Judge Harley Clark — husband of her former college roommate — announced for election, Jeanne gave his children a guided tour of the TV station and ushered them into the cavernous studio where, from behind the cameras, they could see the newscast, including the report and video clip of their father’s news conference. The children’s experience, thanks to “Aunt Jeanne,” is still shared now that they have children of their own.

She left journalism to join Anderson Advertising in San Antonio as vice president for public relations. She helped clients tell their stories on a national stage. She later founded Janes and Associates Public Relations and served as a consultant to clients such as San Antonio’s Freeman Coliseum, the first statewide wine and food festival and the Edwards Aquifer Authority.

Jeanne developed a passion for horse breeding and raced her Arabian horses in area events. A succession of multiacre homes outside San Antonio were sanctuaries for stray dogs and cats, all of whom were cared for with love.

She was preceded in death by her mother, Betty Lou James, and her father, John W. Janes. She is survived by four cousins — Betty Sprott, Jackie Cayce, Patty Clift and Amy Hayden — and their children and grandchildren.

The family expresses its appreciation to Kristina Paledes and Pamela Mayo Clark for their devoted attention to Jeanne’s needs in her final years.

A private interment will be scheduled. A memorial celebration of Jeanne’s life will be held at a later date in New Braunfels. Email [email protected] for details.

Memorials in Jeanne’s honor are suggested to the Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society, the Schertz Humane Society or The Friends of The Daily Texan.

Longhorns Remembered honors and pays tribute to UT alumni, former staff and faculty members, and fans. Do you know of someone who should be featured? Submit a form response at this link.

obituary obituaries