Bijan Robinson sparks creativity in latest NIL deal with personal mustard brand

Emma Hutchinson, Senior Sports Reporter

As the festivities of Texas football prepare to return in full swing this weekend, fans are eager to see their favorite players on the field — and on the shelves of their local grocery stores.      

Texas running back Bijan Robinson released his own brand of premium dijon mustard as part of  his latest name, image and likeness deal, also known as NIL, taking the perfect opportunity to name it Bijan Mustardson.  

The condiment comes in a 9-ounce bottle and will be sold for $7.95 a piece, both online at bijanmustardson.com and at every Central Market location in Texas. The brand’s website says that Robinson worked with several chefs in the offseason, “or as Bijan calls it, the mustard season,” to develop the condiment for market.

The potential Heisman candidate has not only set the bar with his performance on the field, but he’s also trailblazed a new frontier for innovation within NIL opportunities.   

Temporary NCAA guidelines enacted in June 2021 allow college student athletes to profit off their own name, with many states passing legislation in July 2021 to permit NIL benefits for in-state college students. In states that didn’t enact legislation, the NCAA’s temporary guidelines took effect. 

In the year since, Robinson has secured various other NIL opportunities, including deals with Raising Cane’s, C4 Energy, Lamborghini and Rhoback athletic wear, all showcased on his various social media platforms.

“NIL has been a blessing, man,” Robinson said at Big 12 Media Days in July. “I’ve learned so much on the business side of things, and just meeting a lot of people. I feel like building relationships has been very important for me in that scene.”

University records collected by the Austin American-Statesman indicate that Texas athletes racked up over $2 million in NIL payments over the 2021-22 athletic year, with football players making up 94 of the 154 total athletes who received a deal — Robinson’s NIL value alone is $1.6 million, according to On3.        

Despite conflicting opinions swirling within the Texas football team itself, with senior defensive lineman Moro Ojomo publicly criticizing teammates back in April for putting a higher priority on NIL deals than team success, Robinson assured the media that publicity wouldn’t be a distraction to him or his teammates’ goals on the field. 

“I know that it can be a distraction for somebody, it can be a distraction for a team, and I make sure that I don’t bring it into the locker room,” Robinson said. “I don’t want my teammates looking at me like, ‘Oh man, he has all these NIL deals and he’s doing all this.’ I don’t believe in that.”

In addition, because Robinson has the notoriety that he does, he said he uses that and the relationships that he’s developed securing NIL deals to help his teammates reap similar rewards with deals of their own.

“I make sure that NIL is an available thing for all my teammates,” Robinson said. “I’m just the guy that’s going to try to help out the next man and try to get him an NIL deal or trying to get him something because we all have priorities.”