Texas soccer falls short of victory, draws with Oregon on the road

Nick Hargroue, Sports Reporter

In a game that looked like a blowout from the first whistle, the Longhorns found themselves allowing a late goal to draw with a short-handed Oregon team on the road 1-1 in Eugene on Thursday night.

Going into the game, the Ducks were down multiple starters due to various injuries through the first couple of weeks of the season. As a result, Texas dominated the pace in the first half. The Longhorns ran up and down the pitch at will, controlling the speed of the game with efficient passing and superior athleticism.

The Longhorns attacked early and often in the first half, taking a total of 11 shots. However, Texas only managed to score once on those attempts with sophomore midfielder Lexi Missimo scoring near the 20-minute mark. Shot disparity has been the Ducks’ Achilles’ heel so far this season, as they were out-shot 29-61 in their previous outings. The same thing happened Thursday, with the Longhorns outshooting the Ducks 18-6 on the night.

Oregon only registered one shot in the entire first half, being outclassed by the Longhorns in the ball-control department. Despite the poor first half, the Ducks came out of the break with a new fire, beginning to gain serious momentum around the 64th minute. The ball meandered its way around the Oregon attacking third until, in the 78th minute, the Ducks finally broke through and snuck a goal past graduate student goalkeeper Savannah Madden to tie the game.

The goal by senior defender Jordan Snyder ended up as the deciding goal, despite a furious attempt at the goal from the Longhorns in the waning minutes. Missed opportunities were the story of the game, with simple errors preventing the Longhorns from manufacturing good looks at the goal.

Whether it was a misplaced cross into the box, a poor touch in front of the goal by freshman forward Liz Worden, or an untimely offsides by star sophomore forward Trinity Byars, Texas couldn’t catch a break against Oregon on Thursday. 

Despite the draw, the Longhorns looked like a dominant force — especially in the first half — reminiscent of how No. 1 North Carolina looked against Texas last Thursday in Austin. The Longhorns had little issues getting to their spots and setting up potential opportunities for each other. Ultimately, the ball just struggled to find the back of the net when opportunities presented themselves.

Texas will continue its West Coast swing on Sunday, taking on Gonzaga in Spokane, Washington before returning home for a lengthy home-stand.